X

Shinko Tires? anyone ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shinko Tires? anyone ?

putting these tires on friday night. They were recommended from a shop owner. Said he put them on all the busas and gixxers around the area. Good for the price. 4500 mile min. good tread. Wanted metzeler Z6 til I saw the price. Shinko Advance 120/70/zr17 and 160/70/zr17. plus an oil change with maxima oil for $275.00. How does that sound to everyone?
    I wouldn't be so paranoid... if everyone wasn't out to get me.

never heard of them let us know how they are.

Comment

will do can't wait for some new rubber!!

Comment

DON"T DO IT! I just got my shinko taken off today, and put a Z6 on. It was brand new last October, previous owner put it on to pass safety and it didn't even have 3000km's on it, 90% of which was 80km per hour or less commuting to work. It was so cupped and springing out at the treads, the mechanic who installed and balanced my Z6 said he'd never seen a tire do that...never seen a shinko before either. Might seem like a good deal $63.00Cdn vs $200.00 for the Z6. You get what you pay for. IMHO take the hit and get some tires everybody has heard of at least.
        Attached Files

Comment

You can get a set of Z6s for about $220US shipped (If your in the US). You just need someone to mount & Balance them and that can be had cheaply if you know the right people.

My last set I took off at 10K miles and they still had a bit of life in them. My Current set has 6k on them and they look great.
          Kyle

Comment

I've only heard bad things about Shinko

Comment

I have personally seen the Shinko tire on twelve-five's bike. Brand new and cupped bad. I would not buy those tires.
              Bike is sold

Comment

Originally posted by twelve-five
                DON"T DO IT! I just got my shinko taken off today, and put a Z6 on. It was brand new last October, previous owner put it on to pass safety and it didn't even have 3000km's on it, 90% of which was 80km per hour or less commuting to work. It was so cupped and springing out at the treads, the mechanic who installed and balanced my Z6 said he'd never seen a tire do that...never seen a shinko before either. Might seem like a good deal $63.00Cdn vs $200.00 for the Z6. You get what you pay for. IMHO take the hit and get some tires everybody has heard of at least.
                Thats funny. THe 003u is the main tire for drag racing. (That and the Pirreli dragon, I think.) They are very well known for street drag bikes. Been running them for a few years now on back. Every one in my area that races runs them cuz the latter tire is so much more expensive and only gets a little weight saveings. That pick is of the 009 front. I had an 009 on back at one time. got 9k out of it racing every friday. When its below 75 out it wouldnt hook for hard lonches thow. Thats why I went to the oo3. The 003 gets about 3-4k raceing every friday. I use a diablo corsa 120/60/zr17 on front thow for longjevity. Never had a shinko front and probably wont. I like the low pro im running now. The backs are great tires for what they are made for. They grip good in rain which suprised me and last a ling time. No problems at all with them. (not the 003 its SOFT) But the front I cant speak for. Go to a drag race board and ask about the front. You will get plenty of info there.
                If you like to corner thow dont do it. They are a very flat profile for drag racing. This is what they are really made for. I lost about 20mph on a hard corner that I have right out of town due to the flat profile. Go to the link in my sig and blow up the pick from the back. It will show the profile good. That is a 190 on my bike.
                Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles
                6.28 @ 122 in the 8th (short bike. 56")
                5.90 @ 127 in the 8th (long bike. 62") Its still got more to go.

Comment

They are the poor mans drag tire. If all you are going to do is straight line riding or drag racing then they will be fine. If you plan on doing the twisties do not get them. I sell these at my shop and they are very cheap in price and there is a reason for that. Give them a try and give us feed back. I ride twisties so they will never go on my bike.
                  www.mopowersports.com

Comment

They are the poor mans drag tire. If all you are going to do is straight line riding or drag racing then they will be fine. If you plan on doing the twisties do not get them. I sell these at my shop and they are very cheap in price and there is a reason for that. Give them a try and give us feed back. I ride twisties so they will never go on my bike.
                    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Shinko Tires... still going to try them out.

I thank all the good advice but I'm going to try them out anyway. Maybe the worn tires cupping was from a bad balance job. I keep hearing good things about them. Not going too hard in the twisties and newbie here. Maybe they'll be okay. Will post the results from the test.

Comment

Good Luck with those, keep us posted maybe we all just got a bad batch or something, just keep a close eye on them seriously.

Comment

Will do 12-5. Thanks for the advice and the concerns. "KatRiders, now that's what's up!"

Comment

Re: Shinko Tires... still going to try them out.

Originally posted by shefkat2000
                              I thank all the good advice but I'm going to try them out anyway. Maybe the worn tires cupping was from a bad balance job. I keep hearing good things about them. Not going too hard in the twisties and newbie here. Maybe they'll be okay. Will post the results from the test.
                              Cupping is usually from tire getting too hot as a result of running at lower pressures than would be ideal for a rider/cargo load of that weight, and from hard braking on soft-formulation rubber.

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X