X

97 GSX600F High Idle.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 GSX600F High Idle.

Hello everyone i'm new to the site, and well to make a long story short i have recently obtained a '97 GSX600F' that only had a couple of parts missing inside one carb "spring, needle-jet, ering, etc" so i bought them from a local Ask PowerSports and after installing the bike started, however when it started it ran with an extremely high idle. after looking around here i decided that i should adjust the idle so i turned the idle adjuster down until it sounded about right. However after a min or two the bike dyed and has not started again since "well this was only about an hour or two ago". so i was hoping to understand a little more about this situtation and what could be wrong, could there be too much fuel being fed into the carbs or do you think it could be as simple as the idle screw ?

Vac leak, lean mixture, sync needed......
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by WikedClon View Post
      do you think it could be as simple as the idle screw ?
      In other words, no.

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        Vac leak, lean mixture, sync needed......
        Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        In other words, no.
        lol thanks, could you point me in the right direction for diagnosing "vac leak, lean mixture, and sync"

Comment

Start here.
          1990 GSX1100F- abandoned in 2005, rescued by me in 2011, I'm gonna ride it if it's the last thing I do.

1981 GS750EX- Father in law gave to me, full resto in progress with late model suspension.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

1978 GS550E- The wife bought it for me for father's day (So she could learn to ride on it too)

1977 RM80- My son's resto.... he's 3...

2012 Qigo quad- pink Camo for my little princess.

Comment

Start with a sync
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by gsxkat1100 View Post
              thank you, tho i took the carbs off and reset the A/F screws to 2.5 turns and that seems to level out the extremely high idle, now im down to it over heating. i tried adjusting the Needle Jet's from the 3rd notch to the 2nd but now it seems to over heat, should i try changing the oil and oil filter ? i think it needs to be done anyways this is a new bike to me and im not sure if or when it was changed last i know the bike did sit for 6 months and the oil is looking pretty black.

--edit- i did try the 4th notch but that resumes the high idle problem

Comment

Wonky idles like that are often from the carbs needing to be synced. If you haven't done that yet, you should really look into that before messing around more with needle positions. If it's idling high, you might have to sync, adjust idle, resync, adjust idle again, resync, etc a few times.
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by WikedClon View Post
                  ...i know the bike did sit for 6 months...
                  That right there is a big part of your problem..

Download Carbs 101 from the Wiki, read it, pull the carbs and clean them properly..
                  http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                  http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                  '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                  "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                  "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

so i have just noticed something that i overlooked earlier and i would like to know a little more about this, it seems the new Needle Jet that i have bought is different then the other 3.

--NEW OEM--

--Other 3 Carbs FP--

im guessing this isnt a good thing and that i should replace the other 3 Needle Jets to match the OEM ?

Comment

First things first, the technical name for those are jet needles, needle jets are a different thing entirely. Also called emulsion tubes. Second, yeah dude, all 4 needles need to be the same. You can't have 3 FP needles and 1 OEM needle. Did you really need to ask that? Also, I have a lot of spare OEM needles, if you need some PM me, you don't have to buy them new. I also have a lot of OEM main jets (112.5), a lot of OEM pilot jets (32.5, no bleed holes), and a lot of needle jets, including some nickle plated ones. Just let me know what you need.
                      Last edited by arsenic; 07-23-2014, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                        First things first, the technical name for those are jet needles, needle jets are a different thing entirely. Also called emulsion tubes. Second, yeah dude, all 4 needles need to be the same. You can't have 3 FP needles and 1 OEM needle. Did you really need to ask that? Also, I have a lot of spare OEM needles, if you need some PM me, you don't have to buy them new. I also have a lot of OEM main jets (112.5), a lot of OEM pilot jets (32.5, no bleed holes), and a lot of needle jets, including some nickle plated ones. Just let me know what you need.
                        lol no i guess that question was more rhetorical

Comment

Working...
                        X