No announcement yet.
X

Cheaper and more effective mod?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct. And nope, didn't really notice a difference. I generally don't flog it though, so that might explain it. I think it dropped me ~6 or 700 rpm at highway speeds, so not a huge difference.

For what you're doing, ride around in 5th in the freeway instead of 6th, probably a pretty close approximation as to what it'll be like there.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Fuck the K&N filter, stick with the OEM type filter.

Originally posted by SwedeinLA View Post
      I have been in contact with GSFX Jim and getting ready to order the 15-50 steel sprockets....He will also install them wgen ready so that will be fun saying hi to a fellow forum member.

What can I expect as far as the conversion as it relates to gas mileage, top speed RPM/Speed etc....

Anyone have any hard numbers?

97 600 Katana.

I do a quite a bit of freeway riding, up to 50 miles daily. I would hate for it to be screaming at 8000 RPM's doing 70
      Cool give me a heads up I'll shoot down. Need to pick up parts anyway.
      Last edited by 92xjunker; 10-28-2014, 07:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        Fuck the K&N filter, stick with the OEM type filter.

Cool give me a heads up I'll shoot down. Need to pick up parts anyway.
        I'll let you know for sure

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
        Correct. And nope, didn't really notice a difference. I generally don't flog it though, so that might explain it. I think it dropped me ~6 or 700 rpm at highway speeds, so not a huge difference.

For what you're doing, ride around in 5th in the freeway instead of 6th, probably a pretty close approximation as to what it'll be like there.
        Thanks
        Last edited by SwedeinLA; 10-28-2014, 08:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Take it from someone who has spent a lot of time and money on Kats. The only basic mods you will really feel is suspension upgrade (Tmod will hook you up racetech style), a jet kit (engine smoothness), sprockets (for 600 I prefer 15/50), or upgrade the displacement.
          1992- project katfighter
          2005- GSXR750
          2001- TL1000R
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
          www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
            Take it from someone who has spent a lot of time and money on Kats. The only basic mods you will really feel is suspension upgrade (Tmod will hook you up racetech style), a jet kit (engine smoothness), sprockets (for 600 I prefer 15/50), or upgrade the displacement.

agreed but with the addition of braided brake lines , a full overhaul of the calipers and carbone lorraine brake pads.
            2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Thanks Cinti and Mammut....Doing the sprockets soon.

Comment

Dumb question but....

What does the suspension mods benifit? Cornering, ride quality...? My kats basically stock although im not even sure of this... im a more pleasure rider than anything but would enjoy a easier to handle bike more than anything.
                Ive spent more time fixing my bike then riding.

Comment

Cornering: HELL yes
                  Ride quality: definitely
                  Ease of handling/confidence in the bike: big yes
                  More plush ride: yes if you get gold valve emulators and tune them properly to your liking.

It'll be more responsive, handle better, dive less when braking/accelerating, be more composed going through corners (ie when you hit a bump), and basically kick ass. Even if you can't afford emulators, just a rebuild and springs appropriate for your weight will make some very nice changes.
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Working...
                  X