X

Fill entire gas tank with vinegar?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fill entire gas tank with vinegar?

I have some light surface rust inside my fuel tank after sitting open for the last year. I have bodywork done and just need to paint it. I want to remove that rust before I use the tank.

Would it be safe to fill the tank with vinegar while the petcock and the float are in there? I don't know what kind of effects vinegar has on plastic and rubber.

Thanks!
    First motorcycle - new project
    1992 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Aluminum won't like it at all, play it safe and remove it or pick up some "evapo-rust" at your local auto parts or hardware store. Safe for any metal or plastic.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I've used both, but didn't have any extra pieces (ie gaskets/fuel sender etc) involved, just steel. Honestly I thought the vinegar worked just as well.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

You don't need to fill it, just slosh it around a bit a few times.

You can do it with the aluminum removed if you felt the need.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

How quick is the reaction with rust and vinegar? Once it touches and the vinegar is removed it will stop react?

Does vinegar have any ill effects on paint? Would it be safe to get vinegar on fresh paint? Not going to do it purposefully, but I'm sure it'll happen accidentally.

Comment

The acid level is only 5%, it shouldn't effect the paint as long as it isn't left wet. It will take some time for the vinegar to break up the rust but, not to long.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Slosh it around 5 times in under 24 hours, and that should take care of most situations.

Rinse with water well. Then use something like acetone (1 cup) to absorb water and dry out the tank quickly before flash rust comes back.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I'll do a similar procedure then. Again be careful not to get the acetone on the paint but it shouldn't be much of a problem?

Comment

Acetone = fingernail polish remover so you want to be a lot more careful with that than the vinegar. If you're not going to line the tank or fill it right away, mix something like 1 cup gas with 1 cup oil and slosh it around (and drain the excess out). Forms a film that locks out air and prevents flash rusting. And no need to clean it out before filling up.
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post

Acetone = fingernail polish remover so you want to be a lot more careful with that than the vinegar.

Alcohol will work too. Pretty much anything that evaporates quickly and absorbs the water...

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                    X