X

rotors

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rotors

so this bike i got has been siting out in the elements since 2002 and the front rotors are pretty rusted. Ive been pushing it around with the brake on and its starting to clean up, but i don't know if i should get some newer rotors with out rust or if i can clean these ones up some how..?

Post a pic of your rotors. I'm guessing that if just pushing it around dragging the brakes have cleaned it up a lot then you can probably use some fine sandpaper, steel wool, and/or WD-40 to get them back in shape.

I'm sure there's a minimum width for the rotors, it will probably be in the owner's manual or the shop manual available for download on this site.
    1994 Naked Katana 600
    Search KatRiders with Google | SEO Firefox Extension | New SUSE Linux Users | My Motorcycle Blog

Comment

If you look in the middle of the rotor it has the minimum thickness in MM's. If it is not pitted the metal, and just surface rust you can just drag the brakes to clean them up. Or if you want use some FINE grit sandpaper etc like Damian said.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
      who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Originally posted by Damian
        and/or WD-40
        Oh no you din't . NO WD-40 ON THE ROTORS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
          and/or WD-40
          It'll wash off, right? It's not like it's fortified with kryptonite. But I'll defer to superior experience.
          1994 Naked Katana 600
          Search KatRiders with Google | SEO Firefox Extension | New SUSE Linux Users | My Motorcycle Blog

Comment

Actually WD-40 will NOT wash off. It is a Water Displacer (WD) and a lot of people use it inside a distributor cap to keep water out on a car, or on the connections of a bike to keep water out and corroding them.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
            who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Originally posted by md86
              and/or WD-40
              It'll wash off, right? It's not like it's fortified with kryptonite. But I'll defer to superior experience.

I like that!!!

It will clean off fine.. Just don't get in all in your brake pads..
              It'll make a stink. It is a water dispeller, not water repeller..
              My concern is that the rust wasn't uniform and you might have high spots on the rotors. Actually unless you can find a shop willing to resurface them, you might just as well try to ride it... They might act warped.

Comment

^thats what i was concerned about because the back of the left rotor still has alot of rust on it while the other ones have cleaned up.

Comment

I've heard you can use a scotchbrite pad (green ones) to clean the surface rust off the rotors. The outside of the pic doesn't look that bad... but the inside does. I would maybe try riding slowly around the block and doing some easy braking to see if that cleans them off. It doesn't take much moisture to rust up a rotor...
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Bah, I've seen a lot worse than that. Use a little 220 to knock off the loose stuff and ride them gently for a couple weeks, then change your pads...... Unless as pointed out above there is severe pitting, then you might want to try to find another set. Rotors are really, really tough though so I doubt they are shot, just a bit ugly.

What I would be concerned with though is that one side of one rotor is not cleaning. That to me suggests that your calipers are not engaging evenly and may need rebuilt.
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by BraadaJim
                      Rotors are really, really tough though so I doubt they are shot, just a bit ugly. .
                      +1
                      I took a DA sander to my rear and never even made a dent in it..

Comment

Working...
                      X