Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil

To make a long story short, I jsut did an oil change by the book and now it appears that i have too much oil in the bike. i believe the oil level is just at the very top of the viewing window. that of course, was a hot reading. am i in danger? i took the bike out for 5 mins after the change and it was fine but ...now i am thinking...
    "I am better than dirt..well most kinds of dirt that is. Not that fancy storebought dirt- that stuff is loaded with nutrients. No way I can compete with that stuff..."

its a tad full but it wont hurt things run it the way it is jsut next time dont fill it so full youll be good to go

Comment

You should be ok as long as you don't add anymore just next time don't add as much write it down so you remember.
      "Wait you are hitting me for something I might do"

Comment

what's oil
        You're Welcome,
        - The Social Invalid

Comment

As long as when you check it "by the book" (start for 2-3 minutes, shut down, check 60 seconds later), you can still see a hair bit of space at the top the window (i.e. - not totally covered), you're golden. If it's a 1/4 of a liter over full, it's OK. If it's 2/3rds of a liter over full (or more), the crank will be sloshing through the oil and trying to churn it into a froth, and that's not ok.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Remember too after you start the bike and then shut it off, if its on the center stand, it will be leaning up and forwards alittle bit so that can throw off your reading through the site glass. When you check it, have someone steady the bike straight up, and then you can get an accurate reading next time. .

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
              Remember too after you start the bike and then shut it off, if its on the center stand, it will be leaning up and forwards alittle bit so that can throw off your reading through the site glass. When you check it, have someone steady the bike straight up, and then you can get an accurate reading next time. .
              Actually, as long as it's parked on flat ground, the manual says to read it on the centerstand

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

As has been said - a little over full is okay, a lot over full isn't. Check the level properly and if you have to crack the drain plug and bleed a little out, it's not a big deal.
                ---Jeff (Long Beach Represent!)

'99 Katana 750 (Metallic Space Blue / Matte Silky Gray Metallic)
                Plus some cars.

"Never Break More than You Fix..."

Comment

you could always back out the drain plug a tad to dump some of the oil...just remember to re-torque it to spec. I'd hate to see you lose the bolt cuz it backed out or even worse you strip the whole thing because you over-tightened.

Either way, just do a wheelie or 2 and make you engine drink up some of that oil.

Comment

Cyber...I didn't realise that about the manual and reading the oil level with the bike on the center stand. The reason this is worrying me now is i removed that butt ugly thing (the center stand) a loooong time ago. I guess it's not a big deal since i have only put 6K miles on it since it came out of the box (and it's still sitting in my garage waiting an a trip to the shop to get re-wired ). How do you reccomend I check it? I guess i should also mention that I lowered it about two inches (shorter "dog-bones") as well. Should I be worried?

Comment

Originally posted by jlmilloway
                      Cyber...I didn't realise that about the manual and reading the oil level with the bike on the center stand. The reason this is worrying me now is i removed that butt ugly thing (the center stand) a loooong time ago. I guess it's not a big deal since i have only put 6K miles on it since it came out of the box (and it's still sitting in my garage waiting an a trip to the shop to get re-wired ). How do you reccomend I check it? I guess i should also mention that I lowered it about two inches (shorter "dog-bones") as well. Should I be worried?
                      Read it upright after the same run-stop cycle, and stick close or at the full mark -- should be fine.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                      X