No announcement yet.
X

New guy saying Hi

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is your bike CA emissions spec, or 49 state? The 49 state setup is what you want to go with. In the wiki there's a breakdown of the different herrings for the different Kats if you're not sure. If you already have the 49 state, I'd leave it (aside from whatever the factory pro kit has you change).

If you have the CA jetting, I've got part numbers in my build thread for the conversion (in the 1100 section, titled wahoooo!)(I'd link to it but I'm on a phone not a computer right now)

Also: I don't think a yellow spring on the rear is stock - mines super dirty so under all the grime it might be yellow...if the spring on your parts bike doesn't match it, you lucked out and it's been upgraded a bit already.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

It is a 49 states bike. It came with the smaller idle jets. I know the Cali bikes came with 42.5. I will go with the 32.5's then and see what factory pro has me do. I am planning on bringing it to a dyno and getting it dialed in using science and not just my butt. Hopefully I can use the same set up on the parts bike when I get that one going. Or Ill just swap plates when I ride one or the other. The parts bike is an 88.

I have been reading a bunch on how to get a title. Luckily I have a bill of sale from a now out of business dealer. I hear in Connecticut or one of those states after 15 years there are no titles for bikes. So hopefully I can get a registration for it and then use that to get a title next year. Otherwise it will just get taken apart and sit in a box till I brake something.

Comment

So I have the factory pro kit on its way to my house. Should be here on Thursday and my new jet needles and butterfly valve shaft seals are at the dealership. Ill get them tomorrow. So now I am wondering which main jet to use and which place on the new needle I should put the e-clip? I am at around 800'msl only change to bike is a 4 to 1 V&H exhaust. I also have a new paper airfilter so that will go in once I get the carbs done. Any suggestions on where to start with the carb tuning would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

FP kits have that info with it.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Welcome. Nice bike, the oem style filter will make a huge difference in performance.

Comment

Great. The dyna kit was a little lax in that department, and the bike ran like crap to boot. I am so looking forward to getting this bike snorting down the road. I f this works I have another 88 gsx1100F with out a title that I might swap the engine into a 78 GS1000 frame I have laying around. A guy on the GS resources did that with one and it was quite a hot rod. Or if someone has a titled frame laying around who might like to sell.

Comment

More new parts today. I love new carb parts.

Comment

I got the factory pro kits today and got them installed in the carbs. Now I cant wait to get the bike out of storage and get them installed and see how if behaves. These carbs got dipped and ultrasonically cleaned, new butterfly valve shaft seals, new fuel needles and seats, new emulsion tubes, new jets and new vacuum slide needles. Since I was at it I also installed the extended idle mixture screws.

Here are the needles I pulled out of the carbs. pretty worn for only having 16000 miles on the bike. The emulsion tubes didnt really look that bad.

I hope the factory pro needles hold up better than these did.

Comment

What the...?? Have to agree, those needles look really worn. For any mileage. My 600 had 70k on it when I popped off the diaphragm caps and pulled the needles just to take a look-see - no wear on them.

Keep the pics and updates coming!

EDIT: you mentioned installing a dynojet kit - are the pictured needles stock, or the DJ ones? (they look similar to stock at least.
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

Comment

That kind of wear makes me wonder if the emulsion tubes are wore out...
                      My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Those are the stock needles and I think the tubes are worn out as well. I replaced them with new. When it warms up I will have to take a look at the carbs that are on the bike and the other set of needles when I find the dyna jet kit box.

Comment

I have a full Yoshi exhaust on mine with the stock airbox and filter. I didn't spend $100 on a jet kit. I just bought 4 main jets, two 125 and two 127.5 and put them in. My bike runs like a rocket with all the other carb parts remaining at stock. Total cost was under $20.
                          2005 Harley Davidson Softtail Deuce
                          2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
                          1995 Kawasaki GPz1100
                          1988 Suzuki GSX1100 Katana
                          1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

It's finally warm enough to get at the GSX again. I got the new intake boots installed and put stainless alan screws in there to hold them with some anti-seize. I was fortunate that the old screws came right out with my impact driver. They were JIS head screws. New paper filter installed so today is the big day. Going to sync them and color tune them and take it for a ride.

On another note, my chain is almost at it's limit. Can anyone tell me what chain is on the bike? I have done some searching and i have come up with the bike has a 532 chain with 112 links. Is this correct? I would like to switch to a 530 chain, what tooth count do I need to keep the stock gearing?
                            Last edited by bomber737; 03-24-2015, 08:54 AM.

Comment

I thought the link count was 118?
                              Stock gearing is 15f and either 52r or 54r.
                              1998 Katana 750
                              1992 Katana 1100
                              2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Thanks for the chain info. Is that tooth count for the 532 chain or the 530 conversion? I will probably just buy a longer chain and cut it down to what I need. Gives me an excuse to use my bike master chain tool. I found looking at it that someone has put a snap link chain on the bike. Seems like it really should have a rivet link and I'm wondering if it has a 530 chain on it already. I am sure Suzuki never put a snap link chain on any bike that left the factory.

On another note, I was messing with the carbs I cleaned this winter and for some reason the butterfly valves seem to be binding a little and don't want to close. So before I get out on the road and it wont throttle down I figured I better get this fixed. Since I had the carbs I had pulled to put these ones on I pulled them apart and cleaned them and moved all the new stuff over. Back on the bike they went today and it's all synced up and color tuned. Runs better than ever, tomorrow ill take it out for this years maiden ride. I can't wait to see how it goes now. it was a good excuse to use my new larger ultrasonic cleaner, now I can clean 4 carbs at a time. What a time saver.
                                Last edited by bomber737; 04-01-2015, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X