X

Vortex Front help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vortex Front help

I got this kit from vortex and it has a bigger lip than I have been seeing on other peoples. On this one the washer for the front hangs over the sides and was wondering if this is gonna bolt up right with everything heres some pics so you can see what I am talking about. Also the lip is taller than on the older ones ive seen.

99 Katana 600-Sold
    2007 Kawasaki ZZR 600-my new baby

That looks like a 520 sprocket. My 530 RK/Vortex had no lip at all, the sprocket was flush all the way across. The 520 kit that I put on later was also of the same flush design. You might want to look into making sure that you have the right application.
    Pics
    Pics
    No pics yet
    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
      That looks like a 520 sprocket. My 530 RK/Vortex had no lip at all, the sprocket was flush all the way across. The 520 kit that I put on later was also of the same flush design. You might want to look into making sure that you have the right application.
      The newer 520 vortex sprockets do have one side raised. Flush side mounted towards the engine. Are you putting a 520 set on, or was this supposed to be stock?

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

its for the 520 just seemed like it would be tall with the washer.
        Last edited by Layinlowstang; 03-03-2009, 01:33 PM.
        99 Katana 600-Sold

Comment

The 15-22 hp 200cc-250cc Atv's and dirt bikes i sell have 520 chains....
          Even my 40hp VT600 runs 525

I guess you know something about chains that I don't and feel comfortable putting a 520 chain on an 80hp 460lbs sled?
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Dont people put 520 chains on more powerfull bikes than the kat?? I dont see what the big deal is...this is a sore subject on this site
            Last edited by Layinlowstang; 03-03-2009, 03:53 PM.
            99 Katana 600-Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Layinlowstang View Post
              Dont people put 520 chains on more powerfull bikes than the kat?? I dont see what the big deal is...this is a sore subject on this site
              Why yes, yes it is...

I understand the issues for both sides, but I went with 520 as well. Alot of people on both sides, but no one yet has had any issues that have done it. At least, no one has posted an issue here.

I'm going to run a 520... and I'll be noting any issues for real world application, and see...

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                Why yes, yes it is...

I understand the issues for both sides, but I went with 520 as well. Alot of people on both sides, but no one yet has had any issues that have done it. At least, no one has posted an issue here.

I'm going to run a 520... and I'll be noting any issues for real world application, and see...

Krey
                DITTO!!! I couldn't agree more. Too each is his own. But some of this sh** ppls talk about on this site is nutz. Like if Cyberpoet hasn't said it is ok. Then it is wrong... Not calling out CP but it was the first thing I could think of.... It what you want for your bike

Quote: Black Peter
                OK I'm officially done with these discussions.
                ***** you're constantly saying the Kat has no power but you're afraid of putting a 520 chain on. WTF??
                Of two identical chains, one 530 one 520 will the 520 wear out faster? Yes..
                BFD.. Convert to belt if you want longevity.

Weight? Here I guess I agree. I wouldn't convert to 520 for weight savings.

The single biggest item that causes weight induced performance loss? The rider..

Strength? Please.. The difference in strength is not a Katana concern. In fact it isn't even a 160 HP GSXR concern.. As Yoda said "size matters not, judge me by my size do you?"
                Don't judge the strength of a material based on it's thickness either..
                sigpic
                Update Jul 11 2014
                Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

I loading some better pics for ya... Sorry for not response to your PM. I been just loggin in for like 2 mins and leaving

EDIT: Here you go. I hope this help alittle better without the chain. Its alittle more clear

Attached Files
                  Last edited by Rok_Stars_Bars; 03-03-2009, 08:28 PM.
                  sigpic
                  Update Jul 11 2014
                  Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

They don't post it on here because they don't want people to say i told you so...

Its not so much the power... its the WEIGHT and the design of the bike.
                    Just because people put a smaller chain on a more powerful bike does not mean it right... do you know how many busted chain covers and cracked engine cases I repair because of conversion kits and many different bikes?

Suzuki put a 530 on there for a reason because its a HEAVY bike with lots of power and designed for touring.
                    For what you spent on the set of gears and chain and how much faster the chain and sprockets will wear and how much more maintenece and care is needed you would have saved $$$ on the long run with a better quality 530.

I mean feel free to run whatever you want... guys that do silly changes to their bikes like this are the reason my shop is so friggin busy right now
                    I'll post pics of a chain conversion gone bad tomorrow that I am currently working on... an atv with OE 428 chan conversion to 420 busted chain cover, cracked engine case
                    Last edited by hardlydangerous; 03-03-2009, 10:01 PM.
                    98 GSX750F
                    95 Honda VT600 vlx
                    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                    X