X

What's up with this spark plug?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with this spark plug?

So, I'm doing a valve adjustment on the GF's '99 600cc and when taking out the spark plugs, I notice that the #1 cylinder plug looks funny: photo

The washer was stuck crooked as you see it in the photo (better seen here), and is all sticky/tacky with burnt gas buildup(?) along with the area surrounding the washer.

So, what I've pieced together is that when the plug was last installed, the washer got caught on the threads and never formed a seal and caused a mess. The tip of the plug looks normal (I think), but I plan on replacing them all anyways.

Thoughts? Is piston/cylinder #1 all gummed up now? Anything special I should do (other than replace the plug)?
    "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Was the plug tight?
    Bike is sold

Comment

I believe so - all plugs were torque'd last time they were installed. There is a little of the sticky stuff in the bottom of the spark plug well, but it's more of a stain, not a puddle or anything. Could oil be getting in there? *goes to search*
      "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

The plug color actually don't look terrible . Looks like it WAS still firing . Was it running funny ? I would think if it wasn't tight enough , it would fire (inadequate compression) , and it's be BLACK .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

The bike was running... kinda okay, but all 4 cylinders were firing. But, I have a new theory:

I noticed a slight oil stain/streak from the top of the sparkplug well (where that O-gasket is) running down to the bottom of the well. I'm guessing that a little oil occasionally gets down there and makes a mess and bakes, which caused the sparkplug washer to stick to the engine case. So when I went to take the plug out, the washer stayed on the case until it got caught on the threads of the plug as I unscrewed it - which is why it would be stuck and crooked and all tacky.

So, it was probably installed properly in the first place and I'm really seeing a problem with that valve cover O-gasket...

Comment

Originally posted by Teh_K
            So, it was probably installed properly in the first place and I'm really seeing a problem with that valve cover O-gasket...
            That was actually what I was about to write. I suspect a problem with the spark plug well gasket for the engine. I think I have spares here (98+) if you need one.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              That was actually what I was about to write. I suspect a problem with the spark plug well gasket for the engine. I think I have spares here (98+) if you need one.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              I appreciate the offer, CP - but the bike's 8 years old now and probably still has original gaskets, so I'm just gonna get a whole set (outer + 4 O-gaskets) for both our Kats

Now to decide if I'm gonna drop $20 on that mysterious Bond 1207B they say to use :P

Comment

Working...
              X