X

Motorcycle preferences between r6 gsxr and zx6r

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle preferences between r6 gsxr and zx6r

First and foremost, I'm not sure if I can post this here. I did a quick look around of the subforums and this seemed like the best choice . If not let me know. I respect kr advice.

I've found a decent deal on a 99 zx6r and a 01 R6.

I plan on riding the bike pretty much every day commuting about 40 miles.
    I still have my kat, but might sell it to a friend upgrading from a cb450.

The gsxr6 and r6 are not commuter bikes, but I won't shy away from discomfort if the power trade off is worth it. Seems like the r6 and zx6 get better gas mileage than the gixxer on average.
    Fairly new to riding, just looking for opinions before I get the zx6.

What do y'all think?

I'd say if your upgrading to a sport bike, wait til you find one that is FI.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

They're practically the same bike

Carburated, old technology, heavy but capable...

Like Cinti said, save your money and wait until you can afford an EFI model...you wont get your money's worth until you do, since the manufacturers didnt really give a damn about carb'd bikes back then...

That said, I'm obviously partial to the J model Ninja I've never ridden a Yamaha that was worth a damn.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Go with the 01 r6, but if it is the black and blue one on cg in GA, I wouldn't be interested. Post some links.
        "2006 Suzuki GSX-F 750cc Katana"
        "2000 Honda CBR 929 RR Fireblade"

Comment

Originally posted by Drinknthink View Post
          Go with the 01 r6, but if it is the black and blue one on cg in GA, I wouldn't be interested. Post some links.
          Um...why?

I would love to hear your reasoning.

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Yeah I definately want a fi.
            These two I've found are Almost half the price of the best deal I've found on the fi bikes.

I don't know which r6 your talking about tho drink

And I probably will take my chances and get the carbed zx6.
            I've only been riding for a few months, gotta grow out of this speed demon phase before I get something that powerful.
            Last edited by pepceee; 12-29-2011, 11:34 PM.

Comment

If it's not FI, it's not much of an upgrade.

Like I said, the big four didnt give a damn about sport bikes until they became FI.

They will obviously be lighter than your Katana (around 100lbs) but still arent as precise as a modern SS bike.

Save your money, buy a real RR. What kind of commuting are you doing? If it's just cruising on the highway where comfort matters buy a GSXR or CBR. If it's surface streets where acceleration and brakes matter buy a Ninja.

If you want a bike that does nothing well unless you're on a track, buy an R6.

Seriously...don't half *** this just because they're a "good price."

Comment

Word. I'll keep looking
                Last edited by pepceee; 12-29-2011, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pepceee View Post
                  Mixture of both street and highway. What year did gixxers switch to fuel injection?
                  Depends on size...

600 - 2001

750 - 1998

1000 - 2001 (always)

Comment

Believe the later model larger cc SRAD GSXRs were the beginning of FI for the GSXR line. As for GSXR 600... I'm thinking 2001
                    1992- project katfighter
                    2005- GSXR750
                    2001- TL1000R
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                      If it's not FI, it's not much of an upgrade.

Like I said, the big four didnt give a damn about sport bikes until they became FI.

They will obviously be lighter than your Katana (around 100lbs) but still arent as precise as a modern SS bike.

Save your money, buy a real RR. What kind of commuting are you doing? If it's just cruising on the highway where comfort matters buy a GSXR or CBR. If it's surface streets where acceleration and brakes matter buy a Ninja.

If you want a bike that does nothing well unless you're on a track, buy an R6.

Seriously...don't half *** this just because they're a "good price."

Thats why im keeping my pre kat till i win the lottery...or get a job that does not depend on people breaking their boats. Look at it this way, if you get FI you will never have to worry about carb crap anymore

Comment

I said the r6 because it is like seventy pounds lighter, and an additional 13 horsepower. Between those two bikes, the r6 is my choice. Here is the specs for comparison.
                        The 2001 Yamaha YZF-R6 and all other motorcycles made 1894-2024. Specifications. Pictures. Rating. Discussions.

The 1999 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja and all other motorcycles made 1894-2024. Specifications. Pictures. Rating. Discussions.
                        "2006 Suzuki GSX-F 750cc Katana"
                        "2000 Honda CBR 929 RR Fireblade"

Comment

I said the r6 because it is like seventy pounds lighter, and an additional 13 horsepower. Between those two bikes, the r6 is my choice. Here is the specs for comparison.
                          The 2001 Yamaha YZF-R6 and all other motorcycles made 1894-2024. Specifications. Pictures. Rating. Discussions.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kaw...ninja_1999.php
                          Nice site.

This is the 636 I was checking out

Here's the r6

Comment

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kaw...ninja_1999.php
                            Do you know the difference between dry weight and wet weight?

Do you know the importance in peak hp vs torque?

And OP: That's not an R6, it's a YZF600, it's Yamaha's version of the katana.

Again, if people on this website would take ten minutes to use a site called "Google" you could see the engine differences pretty clearly...

Last edited by scottynoface; 12-30-2011, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Im really not interested in the r6 just saw the ad. That 636 is decent tho, it's pretty much down to whether I want to spend 1400 more for fuel injection over the carbed zx6. I live in ga and haven't had many problems with cold starts.

What makes u think it's a yz600f over the r6.
                              Never pretended to know much about them but not seeing where you made that call from
                              Last edited by pepceee; 12-30-2011, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X