X

First Drop :(

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Drop :(

Well I was messing around with it in the driveway. It was my second time on a bike. Anyway, I revved it in first, just a jolt, and I was confident that my brakes would stop me. Well they didnt...kinda...I was going around 10mph. Anyway as I was braking BUT as I pull on the front brake my wrist/palm also moves...you can see where this is going...So the more I pulled on the front brake the more throttle I gave it until eventually it was layed down on the side and died...

Now the slow tight stuff isnt bad. I can do that. I can work the clutch. The only thing I am worried about is braking. How do I use the front brake without adding throttle? I know that sounds weird....

Oh and no major damage. Just some small scratches on the left side.

Also, I freaked out (obviously) so I rush to pick up the bike before anyone drives by and sees it laying there. I get into a squat grab the handle bar and the seat and lift that fatass up. That thing aint light either lol
    Last edited by numtwo; 05-13-2008, 05:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The brake lever should just be operated by squeezing, much like a sponge, with your fingers. You shouldn't move your whole hand to squeeze the brake lever. I tend to use all my fingers on the brake lever, but maybe the one or two finger squeeze technique would help you? Just use your index and middle finger to operate the lever while holding the throttle with the rest of your hand.

Its not a twisting motion to pull that lever, its a squeeze.
    None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
    -Robert Morrison

"
    well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

make sure your wrist isn't bent when braking (if it's bent, when you pull the brake in, you'll roll the throttle on more). But, if this does happen, as long as the clutch is pulled in all it'll do is be a really noisy stop.
      Also, make sure when braking, you pull the lever with your fingers, not with your whole arm (....that did make sense in my head...).

WooHoo ! I made a helpful post !!!..................I think....
      - It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

- Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Comment

Make sure you apply both brakes at the same time as well. Single braking is a recipe for disaster.
        -
        -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Alright sounds like real good info. I will go practice that as soon as I can.

Its just so frustrating. I better wait on fixing my fairings until I get all this basic stuff down well

Comment

Originally posted by Londob5 View Post
            Make sure you apply both brakes at the same time as well. Single braking is a recipe for disaster.
            While that can be true in a straight line braking...I will be the first to tell you, if your leaned over in a corner, do NOT use your rear brake...it may lock up (depending on the pressure you put on it) and cause you to high side (it did that to me).

I recommend going to an empty area, road or what not, and practicing your breaking technique's until you know what the bike will do.
            It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

take the safety class before you hurt yourself and or others!

Comment

Well I went outside and practiced and it really made a difference. Using my index and middle finger. It actualy makes me push up on the throttle instead of down. I did some more tight radius circles. I learned that a bike just like a car has its own max turning radius, you try to push it beyond that and your going down. Braking during tigh radius turns helps alot, gives you alot more control. I was hoping to take it out in the neighborhood and into the alley. Less than a minute drive. But I decided not to. Maybe next time.

Comment

+1 to damn near everything posted before me
                  so many roads so little time

Comment

Originally posted by 06katanacbz View Post
                    +1 to safety class...

If nothing else get into a parking lot and practice braking. Just ride up and down the length of an empty lot slowly increasing speed and braking pressure til you really have the hang of it...
                    None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
                    -Robert Morrison

"
                    well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

Originally posted by 06katanacbz View Post

Yes I plan on doing that but I can still practice other things in my driveway and get to know the bike a little. Im not just gonna go and start redlining it all over town lol

Comment

I learned not to twist the wrist will braking in MSF class!
                        myspace
                        2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Yeah well better learn in the driveway than in the street...

Comment

I had the same fear of pulling the throttle while trying to break...took the MSF course and that fear is gone. Definitely take the course ASAP, and just focus on how your hands are positioned.

Comment

Adjust the brake lever closer to the grip so that you don't have to stretch for the lever as much. I think that is setting #4.
                              -2000 "750"

Comment

Working...
                              X