Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

STUNG!- Anafalatic Reaction- This Could Happen To YOU!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUNG!- Anafalatic Reaction- This Could Happen To YOU!

Organized a ride with a few buds Saturday- I rode the Bandit 1200, as I had not spent much time on it since Thanksgiving. Kevin on his Sprint ST, Sid riding his Vulcan 750, two new guys, too- Tracy on his Thunderbird, Imron riding his older Yammie YZ600. Great ride, found a new, tite but fun road in the GA. mountains. On Hwy 180, riding from outside of Helen, GA twards Wolf Pen Gap, I was bring up the rear, preparing to take some pics of the guys on their bikes on the road. Got everything ready, dropped the Bandit back into gear and took off. At about 30 mph, felt a sting on my left shoulder. Damn, I thought, this is gonna sting the rest of the day- I'll just have to ride with it, it's irritating but I'll be okay. Then...

A few minutes, I get a full-head headache. Then my face gets flush and hot. Hmmm, this IS a new helmet, but it's been okay all day, why now...? Then I realized I was having a reaction to the sting. Judgement was still okay, thinking clear... then the bottom of my left foot starts to itch... okay, things are not right. Hit the throttle, HARD, blew past Sid and Tracy, to catch up with Kevin and Imron. Found them at the next stop sign, according to our plan- ride till you turn off the road you are on, then wait there for the next rider. I had to be sure it was me who was the next rider, so that the group would all stop for me. Looked left, right, left, blew the stop sign, and came to a quick stop right next to them both. Stand down NOW and got off the bike. By now, I am itching more and more. Pull off the helmet, tell Kevin I've been stung by a bee or wasp, and start stripping gear and clothes off as fast as I can. Jacket zipper stuck- over the head with it, t-shirt with it. Boots and sox off, riding pants, I stripped down to the cycling shorts I wear when riding, and I'm reaching in them, scracthing my butt like I don't care WHO sees me- and I don't. Sid calls 911, tells them I have a rash over 50% of my body and it's spreading. I am itching and scratching like CRAZY, getting totally wacked out by the experience, completly stessed out and scared half to death. Kevin heads off to find some Benedryl, and he sees the ambulance go by just as he leaves the pharmacy, follows it back. The EMT's check my vitals, get info- age, medical history, age, know alergies (none, not even to poision ivy- this has NEVER happened to me before,) then get me on a stretcher and in the ambulance. Start an IV, get 25mg Benedryl in me, and get me to the hospital. I'm admitted to the ER, and kept for observation for the next two hours. I doze, sleeping off the benedryl, then discharged- the crisis is over. Given a shot of a steroid, to take over when the 'dryl goes off duty, so I don't need another shot of Benedryl. We go have a leisurely lunch, and 3 1/2 hours after the sting, I am back on the bike and riding again. Funny thing- the last thing to stop itching was the palm-side of my ring fingers on both hands.

I was lucky, could have been a lot worse. I'm gonna carry a first-aid kit on rides from now on- and it will include an epi pen. We hear of riders getting stung, but I didn't realize any of us could have a reaction to it- be prepared, folks. This could happen to you.
    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

wow thats a scary story! glad you're ok. my wife is allergic to bees/wasps and she always carries an epi pen. I might have to put one under my seat.

Comment

been there...not fun. I had been stung numerous times as a kid...no problem. then at 15 I knocked a nest of yellow-jackets off a beam by accident in an old shed. I got stung numerous times...as in about 10-11. most to the face...including the lip. there were just too many of them. It almost killed me. all the same symptoms as you, plus my airway passage was constricting....which meant I couldn't breath. They kept me overnight because of it. and a MASSIVE headache...like someone hit me with a 10lb sledge.
      Now I have to be careful. I got stung a couple of times after that and had "milder" reactions, which required a shot. But the last 2 times I got stung did nothing....so I don't even have the medicine for the shot (can't remember what the med was). So it's agamble now, I guess.

what is an epi-pen? never heard of it. way back then I needed a syringe....much like a diabetic I guess. do you need a scrip for that pen, or can you get it over the counter? bees freak me out.....and I always fear getting stung and having another reaction.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

The Epi-pen dispenser is a self-injecting dispenser (when you slap it against your thigh, it pressures the needle out of the body of the pen and into you, dumps the meds). Army anti-biological/chemical warfare technology that reached the public market -- no needle to hurt you until you actually activate it.

I don't know about Canada, but in the USA you need a prescription to get one. On the other hand, never met a doctor who wouldn't give you a script for one just for the asking -- it's not like people are abusing benedryl in an epi-pen form regularly

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I never heard of an epi-pen either.

I am really paranoid about insect bites and stings, especially bee stings. I have no idea if I'm allergic or not, and I don't want to be in the wrong place to find out. Really good to see you guys had a riding plan worked out. Even if they're just modest rules of the ride it's a huge help in an emergency.
          sigpic

Comment

Ive used an epi-pen before. When I was a kid and got stung I'd swell up like a balloon and get all rashy and itch like a mother ! Knock on wood the last time i was stung was a few years ago riding to work, right in the neck between my helmet and jacket, needless to say I didnt make it to work that day. While Im not technically allergic, say the doctors, I dont like taking any chances with those things.

Comment

epi pens do require a script in the US, like stated above, no respectable doctor would decline giving you one. still get to an ER even if you do get an Epi pen, you will still need steriods, the pen will only help so long. Also there are side effects to the epi-pen, its an injection of epinephrine, which will likely make your heart rate pretty fast so dont freak out, just FYI

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

Wait! They didn't push Epi immediately?!

Comment

I have an epipen in all of my bikes...and cars for that matter..I dont get itchy or rashy but the sting swells so bad that I actually start hallucinating...not a fun seen....In my epipen container I also carry 4 Benadryls and 2 prednisone pills....I will not go without them...remember eventhough you have these things you have to make your way to a hospital,you dont have to go in but be close just in case...A reaction should happen within 30 or 45 min. there have been many of time4s I had to pay a hospital copay pretty much for nothing...be safe and get the f&&kin pen!!

Comment

I hate bee stings. I had one go down my shirt while riding in MN once as i was getting on the freaking highway. Yeah, that hurt. I am lucky that I am not allergic... knock on wood.
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

I havent been stung in a while, it was probably 12 years or so ago, but the wasp got me just below my jaw and it swelled up and hurt bad enough for me to remember it, that is really saying something. But it sounds like a common enough thing I might check on getting one.
                      "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."
                      http://www.putfile.com/91750frider/images/6658

Comment

Having the epipen is really a good idea. I got stung last year when a bee got caught between my boot and my leg. It figures of all places this armored leather suit I have on and the bee stings me in the only spot where there is no leather. I think it was the 1st time Ive been stung since I was a kid

Comment

Working...
                        X