No announcement yet.
X

First bike build project '93 GSX600F

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. So close to having this thing rideable. Having a little trouble with the clutch though. Followed the adjustment procedure in the how to to a T and can't get it done right. There is VERY HIGH resistance in the lever, enough that I actually broke the lever off trying to pull it back. The bike runs while in gear, sprocket cover had moderate resistance while bolting down. I'm assuming that the clutch push rod is pushed in too much and is disengaging the clutch plates, and further pressure from the actuator can't move them anymore, which is why the clutch lever snapped. I cleaned and lubed the actuator and sprocket cover before installing.

I should also add that this is a post 750 engine in a pre frame, I'm using the pre sprocket cover and have tried both clutch pins

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Poody; 09-27-2014, 03:17 PM.
    1993 GSX600F-[/B]04 Gsx750f engine swap. A work in progress
    2003 20th Anniversary edition VW GTI-6spd, forged internals, Precision 5558 450whp/400ftlb and counting
    2002 VW Jetta-Wifeys car. Stock for now

Comment

So here's a small update:
      While playing around with things initially, I greased the clutch pin actuator and made sure it was nice and clean. Cable seems a little dirty but slides around in the sheath fairly easily. I'm ordering a new cable because this one is likely 20 years old, but I'm going to get a can of brake cleaner and hit it with that and then re lube and reinstall and see if that makes a difference. The adjustment screw on the clutch actuator was backed almost all the way out with the post clutch pin installed, and with the pre pin, it's in past the point of installing the retaining nut.

With the post pin installed, clutch was perpetually disengaged, bike rolled while in gear clutch lever resting , and with slightly more resistance than neutral gear. It will not roll in gear with the pre pin. Also doesn't want to go in gear while running with the pre pin.

I took the clutch cover off last night in hopes of finding something obvious. Clutch basket looks minty, along with the rest of the internals I could see. This thing can't have more than 5-10k on it. Springs out, clutch pull is obviously very easy as it should be. I pulled all the plates and gave them a fresh coating of oil to make sure the weren't sticking or anything and reinstalled them. Really want to figure this all out so I can finally take the bike for a spin
      2003 20th Anniversary edition VW GTI-6spd, forged internals, Precision 5558 450whp/400ftlb and counting

Comment

Try readjusting the clutch cable ... Just thinking, is a pre and post clutch cable the same length?
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I'm assuming length difference is negligible. I've adjusted and readjusted and it hasn't done anything. Just checking, should I be holding the clutch in while tightening the actuator? That's the only thing I can think I could be doing wrong... I still have to give the cable an extra good cleaning and then re lube it and if that doesn't do it then I may just start a new thread to get it figured out

Comment

It's been a while since I posted here so I figured I would update this. Clutch cable did the trick, threw on a new lever while I was at it. Just gonna strip and coat the tank and then this whole process will be at an end. Cosmetic stuff can wait until spring :P

Here's the most recent pic I have of her.

Comment

Raise the can up to the hanger, it will look much better. Did you get your clutch figured out? LED the tail light with a Yamaha r1 integrated tail light board.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I gotta get some custom stuff done to the mid pipe for it to fit the bike right. It's a post engine/exhaust in a pre frame. Can't tell from this angle but the can is sitting about 4" away from where it's supposed to mount under the passenger footrest.

Clutch works perfectly now. Just waiting on my tank mounting hardware to come in the mail and then I'm done until I get my endorsement

Comment

Glad to see an update. I've been wondering what happened.

Comment

I've also decided to go more for the halfassed fighter look. I know it's not exactly the most loved look for these bikes, and I really understand why, but the plastics are too beat up to ever really look good and I don't want to waste my time. I'm going to modify the rear fairing a bit and put a big round headlight on the front, maybe get an LCD gauge set and some bar end mirrors off the bay and call it good.

Comment

Hi Poody. I just bought mine to build. It is together a lot more then use and I am just starting to work on it. I will try to get a picture up soon. But would like to keep a total together along with you. Not as much as a competition but we could probably help each other out if finding parts. Two heads better then one. That kinda of sh*t. I will get a picture up soon. Let me know if you are interested. I still like what you are doing and hope to learn a lot just following you.

Thanks Eddie

Just started scrolling through here and I have to say you are doing a great job. I am just hoping I can get mine looking that good. Like I said I will get a pciture up in a day or two.

regards Eddie
                      Last edited by eddie69; 11-27-2014, 08:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Hey Eddie, welcome to the forums! My build is almost at an end as you can see from my most recent picture, but I would be glad to help wherever I can.

I'd suggest starting your own thread if you haven't already, as it's much easier to keep track of everything that way. I'm sure everyone here is willing to help also. Looking forward to seeing some pics

Comment

Thanks for the advice Poody..I will start a new thread as soon as I can take some pictures and upload them. Will get on that today. I will be reading your progress and I appreciate your help in advance.

Regards Eddie

Comment

Working...
                          X