X

Wobbly mirror fix

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wobbly mirror fix

Hey KR. There's a few posts here on how to fix your wobbly mirrors, but I've never seen one that has pics, so thought I'd rectify that.

First off: here's a mirror (post 600). Pretty sure we all know what these look like.

With the boot pulled back out of the way, we have:

My strategy is to basically squeeze things together tighter so there isn't any play in things. So to that end, I drilled out the rivet that holds things together.

1/4" drill bit should do the trick.

Once that's off, pry the pieces apart, and here's what you're looking at

Ever wonder how your mirror locks in to certain positions? That's how.

I ditched the original rivet and replaced it with a 0.75x5mm (32mm length)
    screw, with 1" washers on either side.

In this picture, I've got double nuts holding it in place - the hardware store didn't have any nylock nuts in the right size. I also show only 1 1" washer on either side - I'm going to put 2 on either side. Once everything is snugged down, there is a bit of give, so I'd rather make that a little stronger.

Reinstalled everything, seems much better. Not sure how well it will hold up, time will tell. If this doesn't seem to do the trick, I will tap the hole on the mirror piece (painted black)(larger bolt needed, would require 8mm). This would eliminate one point where the washers can give - there would be no more washer required. For the other side, I'd move to either high strength washers, or cut a small round piece of 1/4" plate and tap it, and have a nylock nut on the far side to hold everything together.

I currently don't have the tap for an 8mm bolt, hence me trying the pictured set up first. Rather not spend the $10 if I don't have to. If this set up is too unstable, or comes loose too easily, I'm more than happy to try the other route, and will snap a few pics of what that looks like.

EDIT:
    oops...sorry for the mondo sized pics...
    Last edited by shpielers; 02-09-2015, 05:56 PM.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Looks like a decent way to fix the mounting issue.

I had something completely different occur with a mirror of mine. One of the springs or screws or whatever inside the mirror housing itself let go and would make the mirror wobble like none other. The glass would violently shake so much that seeing anything in it was impossible.

Not sure if there's a fix for my mirror issue... but so I ended up replacing it haha

Great write-up tho!
    2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
    - Aaron

Comment

Working...
    X