X

Sooo... new slip-on.. terrible mileage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sooo... new slip-on.. terrible mileage

So I bought a slip-on for my 2006 kat 600 and now my gas mileage has gotten terrible. I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for in the forums to search for answers because I'm not exactly mechanically inclined. At least not with motorcycles. So, would anyone be willing to help me? Also have a hell of an afterfire on decel over. Get about 65 miles out of a tank. The slip-on is a two brothers v.a.l.e m2.

Need to remove carbs, drill out the A/F screw covers and adjust to 2.5 turns out. then re-sync the carbs.

Or you could do yourself a favor and get more horsepower and better running with good gas mileage and get yourself a Factory Pro Stage 1 jet kit. Your choice.

Comment

is the slipon the only mod? you didn't add a K&N filter did you? +1 on jet kit.
      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

65 miles on a tank... that extreamly low milage I would think more of a leaking float needle that isnt' even really relevant to the slip on.

I would check for that.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

The slip on the the only mod I've done so far. I wanted something loud and abnoxious and that's what I got. What is a jet kit? Is it easy to install? And will it fix my fuel mileage issue? Oh and what are the A/F screws on the carbs? I've got 4 so I'd imagine its the same for each carb. And how do I sync the carbs? Sorry if it seems kind of irritating, me being a newbie asking questions, I really just have no idea and I'm more than willing to learn, just have no idea where to start.

And my mileage was great before the muffler.
          Last edited by dmhx1215; 10-08-2011, 09:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Go here: http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php5...ecial:AllPages

Read Carbs 102 and get the service manual.

Comment

Download the carbs 101/102 pdf off the wiki and it will cover the af screws. With pics! You will need to remove them to do this, perfect time for that stage 1 there talking about! Also, if your reaaallly not mech inclined, how bout putting the stock cans on? Would at least let you know if it really was just the pipe that made that terrible a diff.... but idk...

Comment

Originally posted by dmhx1215 View Post

I'd check your floats still... jus sayn.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Lmao!

Comment

For every one of your questions, there are 100 answers if you use the search feature. Carbs 101 is a good place to start. That tread helped me several times when learning these bikes.

Originally posted by dmhx1215 View Post
                    The slip on the the only mod I've done so far. I wanted something loud and abnoxious and that's what I got. What is a jet kit? Is it easy to install? And will it bfix my fuel mileage issue? Oh and what are the A/F screws on the carbs? I've got 4 so I'd imagine its t:reposthe same for each carb. And how do I sync the carbs? Sorry if it seems kind of irritating, me being a newbie asking questions, I really just have no idea and I'm more than willing to learn, just have no idea where to start.

If it aint broke fix it till it is

Comment

Originally posted by Mrclean81 View Post
                      For every one of your questions, there are 100 answers if you use the search feature. Carbs 101 is a good place to start. That tread helped me several times when learning these bikes.
                      He has a 2006. That would be carbs 102. Carbs 101 is for Pre kats, 90-97. Or 89-97? Can't remember exactly.

Comment

90-97 600 and 89-97 750.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up. Sometimes my A.D.D kicks in even in my old age
                          If it aint broke fix it till it is

Comment

So I've decided to do a stage 1 jet but thats not until next year as the seasons basically over and i don't have the money right now. I am curious though. Could adjusting the a/f screws make up for most of the issues im having or would i have to just rejet everything? Oh and after the a/f screws are drilled out, do I have to re-sync/re-tune the carbs?

Comment

Turn you air fuel mix screws out to 2.5 turns as already suggested. A good sync can never hurt
                              1992- project katfighter
                              2005- GSXR750
                              2001- TL1000R
                              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                              www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                              KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                              KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Working...
                              X