X

Need to adjust chain...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to adjust chain...

How do I do this? I did a search and didn't find any how-to info...

Thanks.
    '95 Suzuki GSXF Katana 600
    PurpleonBlack

Put the bike on the stand.

Pull the pins out of the nuts that hold on the wheel.

Loosen the nuts.

On the end of the swingarm there is a stud and bolt that come out of it. You will want to turn those EVENLY on each side until the chain is correctly adjusted (see here http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/moto...mc_chains.html ) <--Cyber's site.

Tighten the wheel nuts back up.

Put the pins back in (I choose to use new ones).

GO RIDE

**And sorry for the highly technical write up
    2002 R1
    Yoshi TRS exhaust, Undertail, Ohlins Steering Stabilizer, Dark Windshield, Frame Sliders.

Comment

Wilson,

No need for apologies! That's exactly what I was looking for. Its kind of how I suspected and your description was perfect - I totally understand!

Thanks
      '95 Suzuki GSXF Katana 600
      PurpleonBlack

Comment

Torque is between like 38 ft/lbs and 50 something . So just put it around 40-something ft/lbs. and you should be okay . Make sure there's a cotter pin i there .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Any time I adjust my chain or loosen the axle nut for any reason, I keep a very close eye for movement of the axle for about a week or so afterwards. One time I guess it wasn't tight enough and after a short ride the wheel was angled way off. Just a suggestion.
          '01 TL1000R

Comment

I am about to do the same thing to my Katana and I want to make sure I need to do it. My chain seems loose (it hits the main kickstand sometimes and rattles when accelerating) so Im pretty sure it needs to be tightened right? But when do I know it is tight enough? I dont want to over do it and cause major damage...thanks

Comment

Originally posted by timmonx View Post
              I am about to do the same thing to my Katana and I want to make sure I need to do it. My chain seems loose (it hits the main kickstand sometimes and rattles when accelerating) so Im pretty sure it needs to be tightened right? But when do I know it is tight enough? I dont want to over do it and cause major damage...thanks

Did you read the link posted in this thread? It even has a graphic answering your question.

Originally posted by wilson1 View Post

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

You mean people have to read stuff and click on things? That's BS.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  Did you read the link posted in this thread? It even has a graphic answering your question.

Krey
                  It is telling me to refer to my owners manual but the only ones i found online were for sale. do you know where i ca find a free manual that will tell me exactly how? That link was good to let me know how tight I need it to be so thank you

Comment

Originally posted by timmonx View Post
                    It is telling me to refer to my owners manual but the only ones i found online were for sale. do you know where i ca find a free manual that will tell me exactly how? That link was good to let me know how tight I need it to be so thank you

Link at the top "wiki"

Search "manuals"

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

2005 called me and said to stop posting in it's thread.

These questions, and many more are answered in the new user PM you received when you completed the registration process.
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                      X