Carby issue? Plug issue? Fuel issue? Aaarrrggghhh.....Help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carby issue? Plug issue? Fuel issue? Aaarrrggghhh.....Help

Hi all,

Picked my bike up from the shop afer a tank/fuel line/carby clean as she'd been sitting around for a while before I'd bought it and #2 cylinder wasn't working (spit test on extractor). I'm sure that all the shop did was spray some carby cleaner down it's throat while it was running as it got cylinder #2 working again but she was still a bit rough.

On the way home I gave her a bit of a squirt in 6th and found she couldn't go past 8000rpm. She'd cut out and splurt and splutter back to 7500rpm them pick up again to 8000rpm and repeat, up and down, jerking and farting all over the road. She wasn't doing this before I put her into the shop.

At first I thought it was a carby issue and that the shop hadn't cleaned them out fully until I tried it in 2nd gear where it was doing exactly the same thing, but this time cutting out at 9500rpm and dropping back to 9000rpm.

Just this week I noticed when I twisted to full throttle in any gear she'd splurt and splutter immediately, very slowly winding up the rev range. If I cut back a bit on the throttle she'd pick up and accelerate smoothly as you'd expect.

This leads me to believe it may be a fuelling issue when the throttle is fully opened. Too rich? Too lean?

Or a spark plug issue under load?

Someone suggested it could be the K&N filter making it run too lean.

Another suggested it could be crap in the floats, lines or tank that the dodgy bike shop didn't fix when they said they did.

She's also not starting all the best and idling just above 1000rpm, even with lots of trial and error adjustments of the idle screw.

Apart from that she's running really sweet and I'm very very happy with the purchase.

Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks
    Rob

check for a vacuum leak. could be a carb boot, airbox drain plug, sync ports, etc. something not obvious like a crackc or split that opens when the carbs try to draw the hardest. One of the inherent problems with a CV carb is the vacuum takes a dump (venturi effect) when you slam the throttle open, and it takes a moment for it to build back up. a slight leak will exaserbate this problem.
    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

I had this EXACT same problem, carb 4 was barely running. Re-cleaned out carbs (left the rail, but gutted all 4 of them), re-seated all vaccume lines, reset all my a/f mix screws and re-sync'ed. Runs great now.
      sigpic

'95 Kat 600 (Sold)
      '10 BMW S1000RR (aka Black Betty)(Totaled)
      '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

In ur thinky box, steeelin ur dumz

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Comment

would carbs out of sync cause a vibration?

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I"ll pull apart the carbs and give them a proper clean.
          Rob

Comment

why dont you just take it back to the mechanic and raise hell, thats bs
            99 katana 600- sold, but not forgotten
            06 yamaha yzf600r- down for the count
            06 Honda CBR 600rr- current bike
            lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks i am

Comment

Originally posted by Robgsxf750 View Post
              On the way home I gave her a bit of a squirt in 6th and found she couldn't go past 8000rpm. She'd cut out and splurt and splutter back to 7500rpm them pick up again to 8000rpm and repeat, up and down, jerking and farting all over the road. She wasn't doing this before I put her into the shop.
              Fuel line routing.

Originally posted by Robgsxf750 View Post
              Just this week I noticed when I twisted to full throttle in any gear she'd splurt and splutter immediately, very slowly winding up the rev range. If I cut back a bit on the throttle she'd pick up and accelerate smoothly as you'd expect.
              How it builds vacuum at that RPM zone.
              IMHO: Remove K&N and return to stock OEM air filter, at least until the problems are all resolved (remove any questionable parts of the equation).

The other thing to do is check the gas tank -- rust?

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Cheers, the bike shop had it a week and still had no idea. I'm going to take it to another one that's been recommended to me and get the OEM air filter put in for starters. Not too many positive comments about the K&N on here.....

Comment

Looks like somebody got hacked....

Comment

Just a little daily spam
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                    X