X

Everyone - Please Read

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone - Please Read

I finally got my bike running after three weeks of intense work and research. Review Post - Frustration X 10 & Stock carbs, to hell with them for the history of what I've done thus far. Here's what I came up with. I could not get the bike to rev over 3/4000 rpms after rebuilding the carbs. However, if I blocked the air intake with my hand the bike would rev on up. This is a sure sign of an overly lean mixture. This would lead one to the needle jet, jet needle, main jet and carb slide/diaphragm in addition to the float height. All of those items were checked over carefully! What I ended up doing was shimming up the jet needle allowing it to raise higher when the throttle was opened. I did this with some small washers. I had to raise the jet needle approx. 3/32nd of an inch. Once I did that the bike ran like a banshee. The washers are approx. 1/32" thick. I started with one on each jet needle and the bike ran some what better, then two, and finally three for the best performance. Why I've had to do this I don't know. The carbs are stock and I've got 13k on the bike and am running a D&D slip on. The only explanation I can come up with is that the diaphragms may have stretched somewhat or have lost some of their elasticity. I also had to set the fuel/air screw out three turns from bottom to get the correct mixture. If you set the idle below a 1,000 rpms and lightly blip the throttle and the tach rises and hangs before dropping back to the indicated idle speed you are running lean. That was my problem. I backed the air/fuel screw out in 1/4 turn increments until the tach would rise and fall smoothly which it did at three turns out. When I started the bike up this morning it didn't even require the choke. I rode the 23 miles to work and it ran great. It seems to be quieter at idle and smoother on the road and I would assume running somewhat cooler now that I'm running a bit more rich. I hope this helps some of you others with carb problems. Try some of these steps and see what it does for you.

Great success story! congrats on your new beast!

Comment

Ok stupid question were the plastic spacers that were supposed to be under the e-clip there?

Sounds like you shimmed the needle the same height as the plastic spacer.

Tmod

Comment

Is this for the pre or the post? Your "Garage" doesn't say what you have.

I don't remember having an option of shimming the needles when I did the Ivan's conversion on my 2001.
        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

YES the plastic spacers were there. I've got an 06 Kat 600 pushing 13ks. No, there is not an option of shimming, and you will not see it in any manuals, however there is just enough room under the existing plastic spacer coming from the tapered end of the jet needle to put some small spacers/shims there, then you slide the whole shootin match down into the receptacle inside the diaphragm. Ensure you feel it lock into place! You've got only 3/32" of an inch to spare. This is the second day of to and from work and the bike is running fine. I pushed it to almost 140mph this pm to see how it woud react and it did great. I'm goin to run this set up for a month and ensure I don't encounter any problems and if not I'm installing an Ivan's jet kit.
          Last edited by katat58; 07-08-2008, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X