X

Link to How to Remove / Install Front and Rear Wheels

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Link to How to Remove / Install Front and Rear Wheels

Is there a thread or FAQ that possibly shows with pictures on how the front and rear wheels are removed / installed? Especially showing how the get around the brakes, chain, etc.

Thanks!
    2001 GSXF 600

I find it easier to just remove the calipers up front to take off that wheel . The back you can EASILY wiggle the wheel off with the caliper in place . Well , on a pre anyway , as the caliper is on TOP . But you can STILL get the wheel off on the 98+ without taking off the caliper , and I've done it before .
    Rear ..... remove axle nut , sit on ground behind wheel , stick foot under tire , smack axle out , lift wheel up to clear caliper , push forward to get chain off sprocket , then pull back and it's free .
    Front : remove caliper mounting bolts , wiggle calipers to spread brake pads , slip them out and tie them out of the way . then simply remove the axle and roll the wheel out .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

What I do for the back is to unbolt the caliper from the bracket so that it swings down and out of the way, then loosen the axle and both chain adjusters and the whole wheel is able to slide forward allowing you to take the chain off the sprocket. Then just remove the axle and the wheel is free. For the front you have to first take off the 2 reflectors (just 1 phillips screw), then unbolt both calipers so that they swing free and are out of the way. Next loosen the bolts at the bottom of the left fork that pinch the axle in place and then you can unbolt the axle and take it out and the wheel will come out.

2002 Katana 600
      1999 Ford F150

Comment

I don't bother with the chain adjusters . Makes it quicker and easier to get it all back together later , and no more difficult to get it OUT . Then you can just slide the axle back in and make sure the chain is aligned properly (it SHOULD be) . Make sure you re-grease them , though . I forgot that part .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Pulling the wheels is really easy... if you aren't sure about doing it... well... maybe you shouldn't be doing it.

I pull the calipers as well...

Bill's site shows how to pull the front wheel here:
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

how many hours do you think it takes to pull both wheels off the bike?
            2001 GSXF 600

Comment

Originally posted by solidfish
              how many hours do you think it takes to pull both wheels off the bike?
              Not more than an hour. Maybe a little more if you need time to get tools out and set things up. A little longer if you include putting everything back together.
              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Great. Thanks for everybody's advice.

Last question. When reinstalling the rear wheel, how do you measure the chain's tension?
                2001 GSXF 600

Comment

When removing the rear wheel, do you use jacks to keep the bike up?

I'm not sure what needs to be done to keep the bike up while the rear wheel is off...
                  2001 GSXF 600

Comment

I'll go fix the picture links shortly...
                    -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X