• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter motor turn, engine doesn't

99 Kat 600

Started with low idle - only problem
    Cleaned carbs and put back together
    All of a sudden kill switch decided it wasn't going to work properly all on its own. Wasn't making proper connection so was random when I could start motorcycle, but when it would start, was fine.
    Tested connections, kill switch has no continuity, so cleaned kill switch, works now
    Now all of sudden engine decided not to work. Starter motor turns, engine doesn't.

WTF!!! In the last 2 days, since engine working and kill switch not, all I touched was the kill switch, didn't even take fuel tank off or anything. Yet now engine isn't turning!???

This is so frustrating, new problems appearing out of nowhere. How can something work perfectly fine one day, go untouched, and then decide not to work 2 days later?

I heard a few pops/explosions when trying to start up. What does that mean now?

So the motor is actually turning over then. Sounds like the plugs may be fouled. Also you messed with the carbs, make sure you don;t have fuel in the oil.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
      So the motor is actually turning over then. Sounds like the plugs may be fouled. Also you messed with the carbs, make sure you don;t have fuel in the oil.
      Thanks for the reply, found what it was, the battery was practically dead. Enough to turn the starter, but not enough to turn the engine. I do have one issue though, I don't think my battery is holding onto its charge for very long. How do you know if that is the battery or some faulty wring discharging the battery? I know batteries lose their charge a bit every day, but it seems it is losing it faster than it should. I seems I'm losing .1V every day, that is too much, after about a 1.5 weeks of no riding, I will have to recharge the battery if I want to start it again because the batter would be dead.

Comment

Ah electrical gremlins, fun. Get your voltmeter and start unplugging thing till it goes away. Alternators are common sources of drains.
        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Working...
        X