X

Compression numbers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression numbers

I am working on the '89 750 I picked up recently. Hasnt been run in 10 yrs or so.
    Trying to get it to run, it would fire a bit but not much else. Pulled the carbs and they are full of crap and the tank has some rust in it. I doubt valve lash has ever been set on this thing, has 34k kms on it. Checked compressions and got:
    from left #1
    90 , 30, 120, 70
    Put in a bit of oil and got:
    120, 70, 140, 90
    Pulled the valve cover to check valve lash. Quite clean in there, cams and rockers look nice. The notches at the end of the cams need to point to each other or away, for setting lash as I have learned from reading and from experience.
    Trying to figure out how to turn the engine over since I dont have the fairing off. Its the first bike I have worked on with a fairing. Cant figure out how it comes off.
    Anyone know where I can find a Factory Suzuki service manual for it? The Haynes one I downloaded is ok, but I am used to having the real thing for bikes I work on.
    1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
    V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
    Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Pulling the fairing is simply a matter of unscrewing the bolts that hold it on. Follow your nose. Just note where the bolts come from so you put them back in the right place (as if they will be in the right place on a 24 year old bike???)

Or, put it in a high gear and rotate the rear wheel in direction of travel.
    Last edited by TRPUT; 08-20-2013, 05:39 PM.

Comment

The upper fairing seems to include the dash, signals, mirrors and headlight. It should be in 3 parts IMHO.
      1989 GSXF 750 Katana.

Comment

You don't need to remove the dash and headlight, the plastics come off around them. You will need to take the mirrors off, and the signals will have disconnects.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

IT RUNS!!!
          I put a set of carbs on it off my GS and it fired right up
          Does anybody have any pre 750 carbs parts? I need a top cap and slide spring.
          1989 GSXF 750 Katana.

Comment

I havent taken the fairing off yet, its unbolted, but unless it needs to come off for some reason, I am going to work around it. I took a pic of it with the donor carbs. They have K&Ns on them, but I plan on using the stock airbox after I get the original carbs cleaned.
            Attached Files
            1989 GSXF 750 Katana.

Comment

The spark plugs that were in the bike were major nasty looking, I called the dealer and they wanted $15 EACH for them, I picked up 4 of them for under $20 on ebay
              Getting closer to having it all together, stripped and dipped the carbs w/ new o-rings, bowl gaskets and those pesky little pilot jet rubber plugs. New o-rings for the carb boots to head along with some stainless allen bolts. New air filter on the way. The old gas tank was rusted out so I picked up a clean tank from a member on here
              I checked my voltage droop at the coils and there was .7 volt less. Is that enough to maybe need a relay mod? I have a set of Dyna Green 3 ohm coils that I might put in there.
              1989 GSXF 750 Katana.

Comment

Originally posted by ZookRick View Post
                The spark plugs that were in the bike were major nasty looking, I called the dealer and they wanted $15 EACH for them, I picked up 4 of them for under $20 on ebay
                Getting closer to having it all together, stripped and dipped the carbs w/ new o-rings, bowl gaskets and those pesky little pilot jet rubber plugs. New o-rings for the carb boots to head along with some stainless allen bolts. New air filter on the way. The old gas tank was rusted out so I picked up a clean tank from a member on here
                I checked my voltage droop at the coils and there was .7 volt less. Is that enough to maybe need a relay mod? I have a set of Dyna Green 3 ohm coils that I might put in there.

If you have a minimal of 11v to the coils, no need for the relay mod.

With only a .7 drop, that is most likely just the headlight draw and probably not an issue.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  If you have a minimal of 11v to the coils, no need for the relay mod.

With only a .7 drop, that is most likely just the headlight draw and probably not an issue.

Krey
                  I tested voltage at the battery and coils both with ignition on, so headlight draw isnt an issue.
                  1989 GSXF 750 Katana.

Comment

Originally posted by ZookRick View Post
                    I tested voltage at the battery and coils both with ignition on, so headlight draw isnt an issue.
                    Yeah, that's what I was saying.

The variance you do see between the battery and the coils is the headlight pulling power from the system. Unplug the headlight, and you will see a much smaller variance between the battery and coils.

Regardless... .7 variance isn't much of a problem. That still gives you nearly 12v to the coils on a fully charged battery. As long as they get 11+, you should be fine.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                    X