Gas leaking from air box drain...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas leaking from air box drain...

89 GSX1100F

I've been smeeling gas and noticed worse fuel economy over last year. Last night I parked my bike. About 12 hours later, I go out to find about 2 gallons of fuel had leaked out. Inspection and some dimanteling results in fuel over flowing the carbs and backing out into the air box, leaking out through the air box drain.

I'm assuming the petcock is allowing fuel into the carbs even when the engine is off. I syphoned the rest of the gas out. I then pulled the vac hose off the carb and blew and sucked on it hoping something was just stuck/gummed up in there. I had to drive it home about an hour and haven't noticed the tell-tale smell of gas yet, but it's only been 1/2 an hour.

I want to make sure I know what the problem is before I start buying parts or tearing stuff apart. The whole reason I have been driving this thing so much is that i get about 3 times as many miles per gallon over my Jeep, which puts an extra $100 in my pocket each week driving to work.

Anyone have this problem and know the fix or how to accuratley diagnose?

Thanks.

Petcock is faulty or left on Prime, and your carburetor float needles are not sealing correctly. Check your oil - see that it is not contaminated with gasoline also. (Sell the oil fill cap, if it smells like gas you should change the oil.

Rebuild the petcock, and fix the carbs.

Could be one or more of the floats doesn't float anymore, or the needle doesn't seal in the seat, or fuel is weeping past the seat itself (it's held in with a screw and seals with an o-ring for post 98 models, not sure about a pre let alone a 1100 big kat).
    Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. --
    H. L. Mencken

Comment

Problem fixed. Waited for a puddle to form, then lit a match. Fire Department should be here shortly...

OK, I just read an awesome topic by Krey about mixing ethynol and non-ethynol gas. I just topped off last night at a different gas station that did not have the 10% ethynol sticker on the pump. I also noticed a bunch of small gelatinous bubbles in the bowl I used to catch the dripping gas. I just thought it was something that was already in the dirty bowl, but not now.

I'm going get some stabilizers and get some fresh gas from my usual gas station. See if that helps...

Comment

One or more of the needles are sticking and not shutting of the gas flow. Fix that problem and you will be good. Another brand of gas is not the solution.

Comment

Working...
        X