X

Oil Pan... Oil pan drain plug

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pan... Oil pan drain plug

Hi I know this is the wrong place but I don't have 50 posts and I'm desperate haha... So my poor bike seems like I'm fixing something every weekend well the oil drain plug fell out So I'm wondering if anyone has one for a 2000 kat they could sell me cheaper the better.. In the mean time I got one of those universal plugs the only size they had was 1/2 which the guy said would fit but I've tightened it as tight as it will let me but it still spins.. I haven't put oil in to see if its sealed because I don't really think it is I've never used one but shouldn't it not move? Thanks for the help

I think I have one in one of my toolboxes from when I had my Katana, let me check when I get home from work. Are the threads on the pan stripped or did the plug just rotate loose?
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I'm pretty sure its stripped.. when I bought it I changed the oil and noticed when I was putting the plug back in it would spin kinda freely before catching then tighten but only so much before it would slip and spin again.. being a noob I didn't realize what was happening I managed to get it to the tighest point before sliping and went on with my day.. that actually lasted a few weeks and now its leaking.. the metal plug has a rubber washer on it and I've read it needs a crush washer but I think I'm beyond that right now.. I mean please tell me if I'm wrong but from what I'm reading I think its stripped

Comment

Yeah thats a stripped drain pan, you need to either tap it one size bigger or get a new pan.

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Haha I know hence the post asking if anyone has one for sale

Comment

Misleading thread title thought you were just looking for a plug.

Helping you get to 50 though

Comment

If only it were a pre i'd've had ya covered
              When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

PM Arsenic: http://katriders.com/vb/member.php?u=214

If anyone has one, it's him. That's who I got mine from when the helicoil that the PO put in, fell out.
                Pics
                Pics
                No pics yet
                Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

yeah now that I re read the title I can see how its misleading sorry.. no I got one of those rubber plugs but I don't think its fitting right after I tighten it, it still spins it doesn't pull out but I don't think its sealed so I was looking for info on that so thats why I put that part in the title... @thetable ty I'll pm him now and hope he has one... I've checked the forums and ebay and they're all pre's haha nothing post

Comment

I think you'd be further ahead to get it tapped out rather than dink around with it. It wouldn't be all that expensive a fix.
                    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                    ------------------------------------------
                    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                      I think you'd be further ahead to get it tapped out rather than dink around with it. It wouldn't be all that expensive a fix.
                      $150 at the bike shop to tap it out to a size bigger then they'll charge me for an oil change..

Comment

Originally posted by Bezerker View Post
                        $150 at the bike shop to tap it out to a size bigger then they'll charge me for an oil change..
                        take the pan off yourself
                        find an automotive machine shop it will be cheaper to have them tap it or find a used oil pan on ebay
                        get a new gasket
                        reinstall the pan yourself
                        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

You'll want to pull the pan to fix it.

While you're in there, might as well throw in the factory pro shift spring, it comes with the gaskets you'll need anyway. I'd also go with a Fumoto valve to replace the drain plug; torque it once and forget about it.

For 150, you should be able to take it to a machine shop, have it filled and threads tapped so you can stick with the proper drain plug.
                          Pics
                          Pics
                          No pics yet
                          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

If it were me, I'd pull the pan, pray first that no header bolts twist off, then take to a good alumnium welder. Drill the welded area then rethread for the factory drain plug. I would bet you could find a good weld shop that welds alumnium to fill the drain hole shut and re-tap it for like 40 bucks or so.
                            Do the thing you fear most, and the Death of fear is most certain.

Comment

If you take the pan off be sure to get new crush washers for the oil cooler lines banjo bolts (2 for each side, 4 total). Also, if you do NOT install Shift kit, you will need a new oil pan gasket and exhaust gaskets which probably run up to around $20 anyways. FP Shift kit includes oil pan gasket and exhaust, but NOT banjo bolt crush washers.

Comment

Working...
                              X