X

Dies under heavy braking

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dies under heavy braking

Searched a few different ways and haven't come across this situation.

After starting up to ride into work in the morning I have a straight line road for about 3-4 miles to get the bike warmed up on. Straight but has a few good sized dips/hills. At the bottom of one of these hills, about a mile into the ride, is a traffic light which I occasionally catch red, sometimes with a short space of time to get stopped (depends on how fast I'm going .

If its during that morning warm up time and I have to get on the brakes hard on that downhill section the bike invariably dies on me. Nothing spectacular about it, just slows to idle and keeps on dropping till dead. Takes maybe a second from clutch in and hard on brakes till dead. Restart takes a bit of cranking (maybe 5 seconds), but it always goes, with no smoke out the tail pipes that I can see. (FYI, normal starts take, at most, a second till it fires.) This is with the choke still on part way so that the bike would be idling at around 2500-3K at a normal stop.

Any hints, clues? I'm at a loss on this one.

Does it do it with the choke off?

Idle Dropping below where the idle is set generally is a sign of being overly rich.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      Does it do it with the choke off?
      It has never done it except in during that first early morning warm up period.

If I close the choke at that point in the warm up it would die anyway at a light (unless I give it a slight twist of the wrist to keep the revs up), but in a different fashion. After another mile or so down the road and I turn the choke off and all is good for the rest of the day.

When warm it idles at a solid 1100 rpm with no pops or burbles under acceleration, deceleration or at idle.

When I last checked the plugs they all had good color (about 500 miles ago).

Comment

Working...
      X