X

Fuel set to on, bike dies.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel set to on, bike dies.

When the petcock is set to on it dies (as if you ran out of fuel) unless you set it to prime. Is there an easy diagnosis for this or do i have to take it into a dealer?

My guess is vacuum leak. The petcock is vacuum operated in the on position. Check the hoses to the petcock.
    2002 GSXF 750

Comment

how old is the bike?

if its still the original it may just be a bad petcock or something screwy inside it...

mine for example is still the original and will run pretty much in any position i leave it in but better in some and horrible in another but never really kills the bike like it ran out (i know i should replace it)

As yngveny said look for any vacuum leaks small or big they can really mess stuff up

Comment

you should have a vacuum line off the petcock to the carbs...that's probably the culprit. If its there an in good shape the petcock could be gummed up.
        94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

It's a 2006, but it only had 900 miles on it so it's been stagnant for some time. Not sure if that would be a factor.

Comment

Originally posted by EODginger View Post
            It's a 2006, but it only had 900 miles on it so it's been stagnant for some time. Not sure if that would be a factor.
            Only if it set with fuel in the tank.

Comment

I think everyone has nailed it haha and good find
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=132122

Comment

if it had fuel in it then it would be gunked up...

if it was empty it would prolly be rusty...

so either way clean that junk lol

Comment

Carbs are probably messy too with gas left in them, especially if the rust in the tank was sent through them. Mine had 1/4" of rusty particles in the bottom of the bowls.
                  1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
                  V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
                  Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

Yeah there's rust in the tank. Today I panned on cleaning up the tank with hydrolysis, replacing the fuel lines, filter, oil filter, cleaning the air filter, checkin the spark plugs and doing ALOT of research before I even take a screw off the carb to clean it.

Sidenote: This is an extraordinarily dumb question. The previous owner said she had a Carb Overhaul done to it. What in the hell does that mean?

Comment

Yeah there's rust in the tank. Today I panned on cleaning up the tank with hydrolysis, replacing the fuel lines, filter, oil filter, cleaning the air filter, checkin the spark plugs and doing ALOT of research before I even take a screw off the carb to clean it.

Sidenote: This is an extraordinarily dumb question. The previous owner said she had a Carb Overhaul done to it. What in the hell does that mean?
                      It means you need to go through every single piece of the carbs. You have no idea what the PO could have done. When you get in there you will be able to tell what needs to be replaced and what doesn't.
                      First motorcycle - new project
                      1992 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Comment

I assume there are some carb threads on this forum, or videos on assembly?

Comment

carb 101 or 102 in the wiki depending on if you have a pre or post kat (97 or older=pre, 98 or newer= post)

Comment

it is also in a sticky in the mechanics section
                            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=132122

Comment

Working...
                            X