X

carb jet kit question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb jet kit question

OK, so I have a factory Pro stage one kit on the way. Marc suggested new pilot jets if my bike has high mileage. Without tearing into it yet(as I'm commuting with it) what is considered high mileage on a 600 cc Kat? Mine has 14800. I bought it at 12498 and rescued it from a garage. It runs well, but I'm just looking to make it better. Do you think pilot jets are a necessity?

Personally, I have no idea what high mileage has to do with the pilot jets, or why you would change them. Just soak them in chemdip, make sure you can see light through them. Pop them back in and go about your merry way.
    Oh, I get it, he just suggested new ones, not a different size. He said that because if you have a lot of miles, they are probably clogged. It's not necessary to get new ones, but 9 times out of 10 when people try to clean carbs, it's an epic fail.
    Last edited by arsenic; 09-10-2013, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Or what was meant was not pilot jets, but needle jets... which wear out and need replacement when the orifice ovals out.

Inspect those... replace only if nessasary.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

sorry. needle jets. correct. I will inspect when I open it all up.. Thanks

Comment

I had a set of needle jets that were not worn in an oval somehow, just enlarged overall but not out of round that you could tell by eye. The opening was definitely quite a bit bigger, just comparing them to new ones, also after installing them the bike ran much leaner.
          1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
          V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
          Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

Working...
          X