X

2000 kat600 RESURRECTION!! help!?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 kat600 RESURRECTION!! help!?

Hey everyone, thank you for taking a look at my thread first of all and please excuse any noob questions i may ask due to the fact that i am still new to the awesome world of motorcycles!

Im just gonna jump into this madness.

i bought my beautiful blue 2000 kat 600 about a month ago and have spent most of my time since the purchase trying to bring it up to par for riding again. the bike sat for the past SEVEN YEARS and i have decided to devote my extra time to revive her. my first step was an excruciating process of removing a ton of rust from the inside of the gas tank (sat with a half tank and zero additives for those seven years) i used muriatic acid to remove the surface rust once i cleaned out all the gunk. next i used baking soda and distilled water to neutralize the acid and then rinsed it out with denatured alcohol to remove any water left in there. my next step was to coat the inside with a kreem kit which worked great as far as i can tell. i then cleaned the petcock per service manual and cleaned off the fuel gauge as best i could.

next, i changed the oil and filter, adjusted my chain and checked the play on the throttle cable, clutch cable, and brake levers. everything was looking good according to the manual so far. even the fuel filter is looking in great shape( a little yellow tho... is that ok?).

NOW for the moment of truth... i replaced the spark plugs with the suggested ngkr cr9ek that is the standard plug stated by the manual (old ones were black on the end and needed to be tossed) i thought it was interesting though that the plugs in the bike when i got it were ngkr cr9e with only one tip like this / I . but the ones it told me to get were like this / I \ with 2 tips idk any suggestions on this?
    anyways...
    they work because i bought her a brand new battery charged it, installed, put a gallon of premium in the tank and "attempted to start the bike... NO DICE. use every bit of juice from the batt. tryin to get it to crank. i didnt want to wait on charging it up again so i hooked it up to my car batt. and jumped it with the petcock set to prime (turned back to reserve after it started the first time). after a few tries it started though very reluctantly and keeps dropping down the idle very low and very quickly then shutting off. i messed with the choke and after a while it would only start with half choke and it would stay running for a minute then die again.

im reading up on the carbs 101 & 102 because im sure the needles are probably clogged and im about ready to crack them open but please guys any other ideas to go off of also?
    Live to ride. RIDE TO LIVE!!!!

Originally posted by BLU-devil View Post
    Hey everyone, thank you for taking a look at my thread first of all and please excuse any noob questions i may ask due to the fact that i am still new to the awesome world of motorcycles!

Im just gonna jump into this madness.

i bought my beautiful blue 2000 kat 600 about a month ago and have spent most of my time since the purchase trying to bring it up to par for riding again. the bike sat for the past SEVEN YEARS and i have decided to devote my extra time to revive her. my first step was an excruciating process of removing a ton of rust from the inside of the gas tank (sat with a half tank and zero additives for those seven years) i used muriatic acid to remove the surface rust once i cleaned out all the gunk. next i used baking soda and distilled water to neutralize the acid and then rinsed it out with denatured alcohol to remove any water left in there. my next step was to coat the inside with a kreem kit which worked great as far as i can tell. i then cleaned the petcock per service manual and cleaned off the fuel gauge as best i could.

next, i changed the oil and filter, adjusted my chain and checked the play on the throttle cable, clutch cable, and brake levers. everything was looking good according to the manual so far. even the fuel filter is looking in great shape( a little yellow tho... is that ok?).

NOW for the moment of truth... i replaced the spark plugs with the suggested ngkr cr9ek that is the standard plug stated by the manual (old ones were black on the end and needed to be tossed) i thought it was interesting though that the plugs in the bike when i got it were ngkr cr9e with only one tip like this / I . but the ones it told me to get were like this / I \ with 2 tips idk any suggestions on this?
    anyways...
    they work because i bought her a brand new battery charged it, installed, put a gallon of premium in the tank and "attempted to start the bike... NO DICE. use every bit of juice from the batt. tryin to get it to crank. i didnt want to wait on charging it up again so i hooked it up to my car batt. and jumped it with the petcock set to prime (turned back to reserve after it started the first time). after a few tries it started though very reluctantly and keeps dropping down the idle very low and very quickly then shutting off. i messed with the choke and after a while it would only start with half choke and it would stay running for a minute then die again.

im reading up on the carbs 101 & 102 because im sure the needles are probably clogged and im about ready to crack them open but please guys any other ideas to go off of also?
    With out a doubt, your carbs are in need of heavy cleaning.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      With out a doubt, your carbs are in need of heavy cleaning.

Krey
      +1

did the bike sit outside for that time? Id change the carb boot o-rings that are between the boots an motor. That an a thorough cleaning (an checking all internal parts) an synchronizing of the carbs with a clean paper oem type filter an I bet she fires up an runs good!
      94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

+1 to cleaning the carbs. There's a great walk through and video on here - search carbs 102. (101 is for the generation before yours)
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

thanks guys for the advice! im plannin on getting started on the carbs this afternoon after work. i have a new problem though... when i looked in my gas tank yesterday i noticed some dark brown sludge looking stuff floating around and i noticed that its source is the metal casing on the fuel guage assembly. i guess there was still crud on the inside of it when i reintalled and now the fuel is dissolving it and its mixing around into my fuel... maybe this is the cause of my problems? or just making things worse?

Comment

thanks guys for the advice! im plannin on getting started on the carbs this afternoon after work. i have a new problem though... when i looked in my gas tank yesterday i noticed some dark brown sludge looking stuff floating around and i noticed that its source is the metal casing on the fuel guage assembly. i guess there was still crud on the inside of it when i reintalled and now the fuel is dissolving it and its mixing around into my fuel... maybe this is the cause of my problems? or just making things worse?

Yes on both accounts.

Clean and flush the tank again. Soak the fuel gauge assembly in vinegar to remove the rust. Then clean the carbs fully. I would also check the petcock and fuel lines/filter is clean in the process.

Krey
            Last edited by Kreylyn; 09-15-2013, 10:01 AM.
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

@crazycraven420
              nope it was parked in his basement the entire time. the basement is de-humidified also. i live in Georgia and its really humid so those are a necessity lol.

Awesome, thank you Kreylyn! ive recognized from my searching that you are a huge help to EVERYONE on the forum and im glad to have your advice coming my way.

what can i do about cleaning and flushing the tank without messing up the coating on the inside?
              Last edited by BLU-devil; 09-15-2013, 10:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

@crazycraven420
                nope it was parked in his basement the entire time. the basement is de-humidified also. i live in Georgia and its really humid so those are a necessity lol.

Awesome, thank you Kreylyn! ive recognized from my searching that you are a huge help to EVERYONE on the forum and im glad to have your advice coming my way.

what can i do about cleaning and flushing the tank without messing up the coating on the inside?

Drain the fuel, remove the problem... rinse it out with some new fresh gas and drain.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

Okay, just gas. Got it.

ON a side note i have read that 87 octane is fine for these bikes. true?
                  or should i be using 93? BTW all fuel in GA says "may" contain up to 10% ethanol.

Comment

Okay, just gas. Got it.

ON a side note i have read that 87 octane is fine for these bikes. true?
                    or should i be using 93? BTW all fuel in GA says "may" contain up to 10% ethanol.
                    87 is what Suzuki recommends.

Adjust the carbs when you clean them for the ethanol (you will set the a/f to 2.5 turns out for example).

If your bike is going to sit for more than 1 week with out use, use a fuel additive in the fuel for preventing separation with the ethanol. Marine Stabil works great for that.

If your bike is going to sit for longer than 3 months... you may have to repeat the cleaning process.

krey
                    93 750 Kat

Comment

Man i hate Ethanol... horrible stuff. i just dont get why it has to even be in our fuel.
                      Anyway... thanks for the tips. i will let you know how everything goes!!

Comment

Working...
                      X