X

Polished wheels

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polished wheels

I noticed that some of the members have polished wheels on thier Kats. It looks very good. I want to know weather you guys just replaced the wheels with polished ones, how much? and where did you buy it from?
    or you just stripped the paint and plolished and coated the old ones. Where did you get it done and how much?

Comment

Dan thats no fun...we need another Polishing thread...

John to answer your question..many of the guys did it themselves...it is a pain staking process but in the end well worth it...you can't beat the look and it's cheaper than chrome...but you gotta work at it....many hours of bloody fingers..but if you got the time go ahead...check out the threads our buddy Dan has referenced...good luck...
      Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
      Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

That's why I only polished the lips.....

"What me, lazy?"

Comment

It really wasn't that bad a process. go to your local auto parts store and get automotive paint stripper and some masking tape. masking tape if your only going to polish the edges. get a breather mask to , the stuffs petty potent. you'll also need brillo pads and warm water. place the stripper on the brillo and rub gently around the area let sit for a min or so dip the pad in the water and start rubbing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dee Dub

"What me, lazy?"
            Also the mags..I guess that's what their called but the part above the lips are rough so you would have to sand them smooth for it to look good and that could take forever but there is someone here that knows more about it than I do...
            Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
            Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

You want this?

Or this?

This one wheel represents about 20 hours worth of sweat................

I removed the center ridge completely along with removing the rough casting and all lettering on the spokes, then stage by stage wet sanded them with 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 1800, and finally 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and then finished them with Mothers.

If you have access to proper buffing equipment, you can dispense with quite a bit of the prep I went through. I would recommend either clear powdercoating, clear coat paint, or Zoops sealer afterwards or upkeep is a PITA.
              Ron
              MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

meanstrk
                This last wheel looks awosome. That what I want, however I don't have the time for 40 hours worth of work. I will try to find a local wheel shop, and ask them how much they will charge me for stripping and polishing.
                Thanks for the good pictures
                Did I mention that I like your bike very much, and I voted to be the kat of the month...did you every get it?

Comment

Do you know you will have to keep polishing them?
                  (I think I've heard of someone clear coating they'res tho...)

Might even consider Chrome plating. (Less Maintenance)

Comment

Do you know you will have to keep polishing them?
                    (I think I've heard of someone clear coating they'res tho...)

Might even consider Chrome plating. (Less Maintenance)
                    I agree with you on this. The metal will oxidize over time. A clear coat should prevent that.
                    Chromming will be a good choice as well, however I am not a big fan of chrome.

Comment

have them powdercoated - black ! the no wash wheel

i'd rather ride than clean

tim

Comment

Becareful with the clear coat. If water and road grime get under it, it will corrode and then you will have to strip the clear and repolish. If you don't get at it right away it will etch into the aluminum, then you have to rally buff hard to get it all out. I know this from experience. This happened to a bike I used to have.

I would either have them powder coated or cromed.

Just my opinion though.

Comment

Check the truck stops in your area (if there are any)Usually if there is a place there that offers polishing for the big rigs they shouldn't have a problem polishing your rims for you,That's how i got mine done.
                          97 TL1000S,K&N filter,Micron exaust cans,Ceramic coated headers (black),Air box mod,+2 Rear sprocket ,Chrome Rims,Metzeler M1 tires,Polished Chain Guard,Heel Guards,Clutch and Brake Levers and Brake arm

Comment

"What me, lazy?"
                            PAINT YOUR COWL!

ooops...sorry...force of habit!

Comment

That sounds too much like something else entierly ..
                              TiM

Comment

Working...
                              X