X

kat wont start- no spark

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kat wont start- no spark

i got a 94 kat 600 it won t start it has no spark , any ideas?
    also does anyone know what the compression should be?
    update: i am getting spark just a very weak one, does this bike have a pick up or points?
    Last edited by redskins888; 12-31-2008, 02:15 PM.
    BONES HEAL ,CHICKS DIG SCARS ,PAIN IS TEMPPORARY AND GLORY IS FOREVER

probably cdi box

Comment

Bike has a pick-up under the little cover on the right side .
      Get out your multimeter and manual ( you DO have one , right ?) , and start testing . I'd start at the coils/wires , then signal generator . Test all you can before the CDI , since the only test for THAT is replacement , and usually ain't a cheap test .
      And I don't know what the compression numbers for the 600 are , but it's the variance from cylinder/cylinder that's more important than the actual number . So if you're getting above 110psi ( I THINK the 600 is lower compression than the 750 , and 110 is STILL within acceptable limits on the 750 ....) , yay .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

+1 ^ to add to ... Hows your battery? If the battery is low, it wont have enough grunt to fire the coils properly with a sharp spark. Since you mentioned you are getting one, just small, I would check the battery voltage and/or hook up a charger anyhow.

As for your compression... One note, Do it properly to get the right readings. Make sure you are holding the throttle WFO so it can build proper compression pressure. If you do it on each cylinder with the throttle closed, your readins will be drastically lower.
        If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
        Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Thats great info thanks , i will get to checking those things on friday as for a manual ,i do not have on but i do have a multimeter i checked the voltage @ coils and found that it drops from nearly 12 volts to 8.5 volts while cranking and that is without a charger attatched and also with one attatched.
          BONES HEAL ,CHICKS DIG SCARS ,PAIN IS TEMPPORARY AND GLORY IS FOREVER

Comment

Working...
          X