Fiberglass

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberglass

Few Questions:
    I am looking into making some new fairings for my bike. What are some tips anyone may have? I have heard use felt instead of the fiberglass cloth. I am planning on having some way to support the farings from the back also so they do not vibrate too much while riding. has anyone ever done this. I am thinking about making a big sheet from the tank to the bottom of the bike. I know I am probably getting way over my head but what else is there to do when it is 0 degrees outside and 3 feet of snow. I have 6 months until the snow melts so I do plan on taking my time.

Thanks for any input you guys may have.

Winter Project:
    2002 Katana 600
    -Buell Seat
    -Custom Swingarm?
    -Custom Fairings?
    -Major Cleaning of everything

I've never used felt before, but I've used a lot of fleece (like sweatshirt material). It's stretchy, so it's easier to make a form with it. For strength, you want to use either chopped or woven mat, though. If you do source your supplies from a marina, see if they have stuff called "air-core" or something like that...... it's like a plastic honeycomb, with fiberglass mat on either side. It's really great for making stuff out of, it's easy to work with, and the finished product is REALLY strong.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I usually use fiberglass cloth but I have used fleece for sub box building. both work great, but the fiberglass cloth will form better is its just being layed on a piece and resin over top.
      to make fairings and large pieces I usually make a form first using aluminum mesh, like what people use for the mesh mod on the side vents. Its easy to mold/shape and attach. once you have you mold cover it with plastic wrap and glass over it.
      I've maid fairings, seat cowl, and even repaired fiarings with large missing chunks this way. tyhe pics below are of my EX's ZZR 250
      I bought it and every plastic piece on this bike was smashed or pieces missing. and this was the good side. then entire bottom left side was missing, and was 1/2 of the upper headlight fairing. Even the nose of the bellypan had a fist size chunk missing.
      i drilled a few holes and attached some alluminum mesh and then bent it into the shape i wanted then glassed over it. Then removed the screws and the mesh.

And this is what it looked like when it was alltoghter
      before the new windscreen was put on though

my seat cowl

Last edited by hardlydangerous; 11-11-2008, 01:40 PM.
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Looking at your post, I can almost smell the resin..... mmmmmmm

BTW!!!!!!!- When you sand fiberglass (especially mat), WEAR A F**KING DUST MASK!!!!! I have constant respiratory problems from years of sanding fiberglass with no mask (too young and stupid to realize the consequences).
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I just got my seat in the mail today and hopefully I can mount that in the next couple weeks then I can start the fun part.
          I am thinking about setting up an area in our basement to work. I would hang some sheets to keep everything clean. How bad is the smell from the resin? Would the hanging sheets keep most of it under control?
          Also anyone know of a good internet site for fiberglass stuff. Up in Houghton, MI there are not a whole lot of options.

Man I am getting excited to find some free time.

Winter Project:
          2002 Katana 600
          -Buell Seat
          -Custom Swingarm?
          -Custom Fairings?

Comment

Originally posted by RADAR56 View Post
            I just got my seat in the mail today and hopefully I can mount that in the next couple weeks then I can start the fun part.
            I am thinking about setting up an area in our basement to work. I would hang some sheets to keep everything clean. How bad is the smell from the resin? Would the hanging sheets keep most of it under control?
            Also anyone know of a good internet site for fiberglass stuff. Up in Houghton, MI there are not a whole lot of options.

Man I am getting excited to find some free time.
            The smell is kind of powerful. I've done glass work inside my basement, but my then-g/f was pretty understanding about the smell. My suggestion is to make up a ventilation system out of cardboard, a box fan, and some furnace filters. I'm assuming you have little basement windows to vent out of...... On the plus side, if you make up a serious ventilated booth to do your work in, you can use it for painting, too. I've been meaning to make a paint/glass booth in my basement, but have never gotten around to it.

Like I said, I used to order fiberglass stuff from Select Products.... but I don't even know if they sell to the public. I've only ever bought from them as a business. Looking at a map, though... Houghton is right on the water..... You've GOT to have a marina somewhere!

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
              Looking at your post, I can almost smell the resin..... mmmmmmm

BTW!!!!!!!- When you sand fiberglass (especially mat), WEAR A F**KING DUST MASK!!!!! I have constant respiratory problems from years of sanding fiberglass with no mask (too young and stupid to realize the consequences).
              i feel ya l&l
              Currently Riding:
              1995 Katana 600
              V&H Exhaust
              Jet Kit

SOLD
              2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
              1987 XV700 Bobber
              REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

sheets wont do squat
                you have to use plastic. if this is going to be a basement project make yourself a booth in the basement out of heavy plastic and a good fan. I use a 20" box fan to suck out the fumes and air born dust.
                IMO its not the fumes that are the worst its the fiberglass dust. The work area needs to be hosed down with water and picked up with a shop vac in order to pick up all the dust.
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I think I am going to have to find a heater for my garage.

Winter Project:
                  2002 Katana 600
                  -Buell Seat
                  -Custom Swingarm?
                  -Custom Fairings?

Comment

Working...
                  X