X

Tell me what gear I want...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me what gear I want...

Hey kids...I've been riding for 22+ years, and have been pretty much squidding it besides a leather jacket in the colder weather. Most bike shops around here totally suck and don't have ANY gear to speak of, so that is one reason I haven't added a 2nd skin. The other is cost...I think the last I checked a full set of leathers was $1000 or so. That doesn't bother me much now...so I should probably get something.

I have NO IDEA what kind of gear I should get. I tend to run hot - so my concern is heat in the Summer. I simply won't wear leather if it isn't vented enough to be cool...but I sure as heck don't wear shorts or flip flops either when it is hot. If I am too hot while riding - I'm pissed off & distracted and that to me is dangerous. I think leather would be fine for the Winter and cooler months, but what do you guys do in the Summer? Composite-type gear?

I'll be riding the 1100 and my KLR650 as long as there isn't snow on the ground. (anybody running heated grips?)

Please school me in the ways...I have zero gear experience besides investing in really good helmets over the years.

PS - I saw the http://www.motorcyclegear.com/ reference and don't mind spending ducks there to benefit the group. I just have no idea what I need.

A good mesh jacket will keep you cool in the summer as long as you are moving. It keeps the sun off of your skin but lets the air through. If you build up just a touch of sweat then you start to cool off nicely.
    Back on 2 wheels
    2001 GSF600S Bandit

Comment

I've got a Fieldsheer mesh jacket with a thick, insulated liner. That was all I used when I was living in NJ. The mesh is nice and cool in the summer and with the liner I was comfy down to the 40s. Gloves are my major thing, though. My hands get cold easily so I've got three sets. One thin pair with mesh on the back, One pair with light insulation and another pair with heavy insulation and waterproof mittens that can be pulled over the fingers if needed.

I don't know what to tell you about pants. I've always been a jeans wearer except for when I wear the leathers I picked up in Germany. I always feel a little ridiculous wearing the leathers in a store or somewhere though so unless the day is all about riding I just stick to the jeans.

While I was living in NJ I finally picked up some boots. (I'd been riding in combat boots for 20+ years before that.) I went cheap with a pair of Vegas but I they're so much more comfortable on the bike than my combats that I'd recommend putting good money into some nice leather sport-touring boots that fit you exactly right.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I live in the south and still sport leather jacket and pants most days. But as mentioned mesh in the summer months is an option.
        In my opinion any quality riding Jacket (Mesh/leather or perforated leather), riding pants, boots, gloves and helmet should the minimal amount of gear for riding.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Perforated leather jacket with a liner gets me through march till November in CA. Once it cools down/starts raining I've got a winter mesh jacket - waterproof, multi layers, heated jacket liner.
          Pants I usually wear year round - mesh multi layer. As temps rise, I ditch the warmer layers.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
            I always feel a little ridiculous wearing the leathers in a store or somewhere though so unless the day is all about riding I just stick to the jeans.
            Roger that...I'd feel like the proverbial 'cyclist dooshbag' walking around in stores...or the chiropractor's or wherever. Although beaver like that sort of thing...so maybe it'll increase my appeal.

Thanks for the tips. Sounds to me like layers might be the way to go (like living in Colorado...) or 2 sets - Leathers for the Winter & Mesh for Summer.

Comment

If you get the right mesh, it works great for winter too. I was in CO for that freak snowstorm at the beginning of September, rode a couple hundred miles through the Rockies in sub 30 temps. I was wearing a Tourmaster 3 piece mesh jacket, heated liner, and long sleeve shirt up top, and Fieldsheer 3 piece pants and jeans on bottom. Stayed warms and dry the whole time despite rain/sleet/light snow. Warmer than at home in CA in the low 40's.
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Yeah, that's a good start. I'd like to do more riding in the Winter like I used to. Especially on the KLR since the fire roads through the forests are all open now.

Comment

I live in Colorado and ride year round. I wear the Tourmaster Transition 3 jacket. It has a liner and good vents. I do love the mesh jackets for the hot summer days and add an electric fleece vest for temps in the 20's into the low 40's. For pants I have the Klim Overland pants. They are gortex and are great from 50's and 60's. For colder weather I use a fleece liner in them. 70's and higher I use some Olympia mesh pants and just keep frog tog rain pants to throw on if rain or a big temp drop. The Tourmaster jacket and the Klim pants are more of the adventure bike style and would work well for any type of riding. I even use the Klim pants for snowboarding. I also use a pair of Gerbings Ultralight heated gloves in the cold.

Comment

Why hasn't anyone mentioned kevlar jeans? They are my go to pair of pants in the summer, then I move onto some textile pants with thermal liner in the winter. The leathers only come out if its all day on the bike and nothing else.

Comment

I have a set of Shadow mesh pants and jacket. they came with liners for cooler weather. I use my Joe Rocket 2 piece leathers for cooler temps. the leathers I got off Craigslist. competition accessories.com is where I got the Shadow set at around $200 I believe. decent quality. I have a set of Kevlar jeans as well. about the same comfort as regular jeans.
                      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

The Tourmaster stuff looks pretty good for year-round riding, combined with the electric/heated liners. It sure would be nice to ride for a 1/2 day and not have to stop every 20-30 min to warm up or shake out hands. Not sure how realistic that is when it is dry & 25-35F. Not sure tires are rated for those temps either...now I have to look that up. My car came with 'Summer only' tires...so I am more attentive to this now.

Not sure on the boots...something comfortable with good support - but don't want to be rockin' white AlpineStars. Something 'all season' would be nice. I'd rather not have Winter/Summer boots if I can help it...stuff ain't cheap. Universal/conservative & comfortable...
                        Last edited by RobertTravis; 11-10-2014, 08:47 AM.

Comment

I wear the same boots year round. Come colder times, thick wool socks do a decent job (think ski/snowboarding socks). The boots aren't waterproof, so I keep a couple plastic baggies handy - foot into bag, combo into boot. Not perfect but it does a decent job.
                          1998 Katana 750
                          1992 Katana 1100
                          2006 Ninja 250

Comment

I live in the upper half of the UK, so weather wise it can go from glorious sun drenched days where the warmth of the sun makes you break into song and smile at all the pretty ladies and even some of the gentlemen to the most miserable windswept, freezing penetrating rain imaginable. And that is during the warm months.

I ride all year round so have found this combination works well :

Boots : Full length leather / leather-type waterproof, and short "urban" style with full ankle protection. If your feet are getting cold, layer up.

Trousers / Pants : Kevlar lined high denier jeans with removable padding. During the summer months I carry lightweight rain trousers under the seat. In the winter months I use the kevlar jeans but remove the padding and put on a good set of textile over-trousers with padding.

Upper Body: Layers. I have lots of "thermal" type t-shirts and long-sleeve shirts that I use as a base layer (not so much in warm weather) and normal shirts above that. Multiple layers are more effective than one thick layer. I buy my "thermal" layers from a local hiking / camping type place for very little money, but they do the job really well.

Jacket : During the summer months I use a very good Heine Gericke leather jacket that I was given, but its not great in colder or wetter weather. For those conditions I use either a light or heavy textile jacket with removable liners and padding in all the right places. I find that while the leather is the best protection, in the wet the jacket becomes really sodden and unbearably heavy. Its also a bugger to clean.

Gloves : Good quality thick textile waterproof with appropriate knuckle and palm protection. For the summer I actually use a set of leather winter gloves that I ripped the insides out of.

Helmet : Your choice of helmet, everyone likes their own. But for winter / wet riding, get a Pinlock insert or equivalent. If you also wear glasses as I do it wont help with them steaming up, but its half the battle. If you wear glasses and they are steaming up, there is not much I can advise; I've had some success with a wax product called "catcrap", and some success with furniture polish, but i've never really beaten this problem other than riding with the visor half a notch open.

In colder / wetter weather half the problem is keeping warm. If you are cold then you will tense up, if you tense up your are less reactive. To this end I would also suggest heated grips should be included as a "riding gear" item. If you can keep your hands warm you will be in a much better mood, and therefore be in a better riding frame of mind.

Comment

I wear full Fieldsheer leathers, boots and full gloves every time I ride but, my rides are usually scheduled. So no short jaunts to the store on the bike. I may buy some textiles for shorter rides.
                              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran
                              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                              X