No announcement yet.
X

Half helmets are a NO NO

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My father in law goes with a brain bucket or no lid at all. He kind of looks at me funny in full leathers,race boots,full gauntlet gloves and full face lid. Love him and his buddies to death and ride charity rides with them regularly,but when they smirk at my gear I just smile inside. I like the race track refugee look personally.
    Hobbies (Beating You)

Comment

Originally posted by 68gts View Post
      My father in law goes with a brain bucket or no lid at all. He kind of looks at me funny in full leathers,race boots,full gauntlet gloves and full face lid. Love him and his buddies to death and ride charity rides with them regularly,but when they smirk at my gear I just smile inside. I like the race track refugee look personally.
      Thats the problem with todays motorcyclists. Riding is all about "image"... I say screw that. Riding is supposed to be fun and about getting out of a cage and enjoying the open road. It also needs to be about safety. The thing that gets me is that here in wisconsin there is 0 helmet laws. but there is a seat belt law. what a crock.
      Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
      Current Bikes:
      1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Same thing here in florida, click it or ticket...
        I mean I use my seatbelts and I wear my full face helmet but it makes no sense your not required to wear helmets but its law to buckle up in a cage?

oh well..

Comment

The insurance companies sold lawmakers on the idea that a seatbelt keeps you in position to control the car longer, possibly stopping an accident from occurring. They haven't had any luck with that argument when it comes to helmets.

Me, I'm a big fan of dropping all the nanny-state laws and letting everyone kill themselves in their own special way. Germany got the right idea when it came to speeding. If you're going over 140 kph (IIRC) and wreck then your insurance company isn't required to pay for your damages, just the other guy's.

FTR though, I don't ride without my gear and the only time I've ever gone without a seatbelt is moving the car around for maintenance.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Valid points. You can't babysit people.
            =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
              Valid points. You can't babysit people.
              the way i look at it, they shouldnt descriminate. either say no to seatbelts AND helmets or yes to both not pick and choose
              Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
              Current Bikes:

Comment

Also true. However, minors should have no choice, period.
                =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                  The insurance companies sold lawmakers on the idea that a seatbelt keeps you in position to control the car longer, possibly stopping an accident from occurring. They haven't had any luck with that argument when it comes to helmets.

Me, I'm a big fan of dropping all the nanny-state laws and letting everyone kill themselves in their own special way. Germany got the right idea when it came to speeding. If you're going over 140 kph (IIRC) and wreck then your insurance company isn't required to pay for your damages, just the other guy's.

FTR though, I don't ride without my gear and the only time I've ever gone without a seatbelt is moving the car around for maintenance.
                  Its much cheaper for insurance companies to pay out if your dead, rather than pay for a lifetime of therapy , doctor bills and pain and suffering.

I dont dig the nanny state, I'm a firm believer that we need less government and fewer laws that restrict our personal freedoms. If people are stupid/arrogant/ignorant enough to NOT wear seatbelts and helmets, so be it, It is they who will ultimately suffer the consequences.
                  I'm sure many of you are thinking, " Yes , I agree , but then the insurance companies have to pay to look after these stupid people after they've been incapacitated, then it affects us all with higher premiums".

Like Wild-Bill says, in Germany , if you over 140 kph, the ins companies dont have to pay your damages. The same type of laws could be implemented here in North America, and additionally, if its proven you werent wearing a seatbelt or helmet make the same policy apply.

Natural selection at its finest.
                  1990 GSXF 1100
                  2011 KLR 650

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
                    Also true. However, minors should have no choice, period.
                    completely agreed!
                    Current Bikes:

Comment

1000cc superbike +$700 helmet on the back seat + flip flops + flat brimmed hat + shorts + wifebeater = Minneapolis cool

Morons.

Comment

I know I only wear full face, but if you wear a 1/2 helm AT LEAST YOU ARE WEARING SOMETHING.

Comment

Originally posted by manowar1313 View Post
                          I know I only wear full face, but if you wear a 1/2 helm AT LEAST YOU ARE WEARING half of SOMETHING.
                          Fixed that for you.
                          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

My full-face helmet has a gouge across the chin and on the bottom of the face shield where a rock kicked up by a car hit me in the face. If I was wearing a half-helmet or no helmet, I'd have lost teeth and maybe (probably) my life in a crash.
                            sigpic
                            Currant Toys...
                            '02 Suzuki GSX750F
                            '74 Yamaha MX360
                            '69 Camaro

Comment

There's no reason not to wear a full helmet, they look great, there's plenty of comfort, and they keep you feeling extremely safe! Full is the only thing I would wear...

Comment

Originally posted by ColorfulDan View Post
                                There's no reason not to wear a full helmet, they look great, there's plenty of comfort, and they keep you feeling extremely safe! Full is the only thing I would wear...
                                Current Bikes:

Comment

Working...
                                X