X

Oil Filters, a look inside

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jamesm113 View Post
    Where do you guys get the purolator filters?
    I work at Advance Auto and they carry a wide range of purolator filters. Call your local store and have them check if they have yours.

Do them a favor and give them the info in this order:
    Motorcycle, then year, then suzuki, then GSX750F or GSX600F. Our computers do not say Katana ANYWHERE and the person will get confused.

People call all the time and say "I need this part for a chevy blazer, it's got a 4.3 and it's got AC."

We then have to ask what year to even get started. Then if we're lucky and not overwhelmed with customers we might remember blazer 4.3, so we hit Chevrolet and then Blazer, and we will probably have to ask S10 blazer or full size. Then we hit 4.3 for the engine and then we have to try to remember what part it was. We can't even tell if the AC option even matters until we've gone through three more menus to get to the specific part listing. It doesn't sound hard at all, I will admit, but those computers take about 12 seconds to load any page and remembering all of that info that was shouted at us out of order while there is a lot of talking going on around us can be frustrating.

/rant =)

Added: I checked the website and they don't have specific vehicle listing for motorcycles. We do in the store for basic stuff like oil/air filters, spark plugs and wires, and bulbs. You would definitely have to call or walk in to check.
    Last edited by Flounder; 04-20-2012, 04:59 PM.
    sigpic
    "Why do I ride a bike? Aside from the feeling of freedom, excitement, and adrenaline... probably the 90 million miles of headroom."
    "Katrina" 2001 750 Black/Anthracite

Comment

• i def hear ya FLOUNDER!! being a parts guy for over 20years that can get incredibly frustrating. Then have to ask them again what they were looking for again and they get all sorts of bent at you. so then is a wix ok to use?

Comment

• Interesting tear down into a Royal Purple oil filter. Not sure if they have them for bikes, but they seem to be a much higher quality than your standard oil filter. Video for review:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=floUZGP6NZM"]Inside The Royal Purple Synthetic Oil Filter Video V8TV - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• I run royal purple motorcycle oil in my bike. and yeah i paid a crapload for it. I run a K&N filter and should have my new one in the mail any day now. seeing how no one else has posted pictures up of a disassembly i will as soon as i get the new one.

Ok just got my new filter and am fixin to change the oil. Here is a picture from the box for a breakdown of a new one. I will further update whem i get done and tear apart the old one.

Well here it is. Dont mind any of the dust. That is dremel cutoff wheel dust. This filter had about 6000 miles on it and looks to be in good shape. The filter top and bottom are still secure and would not come off even if I pulled on them. Filter element was still sturdy. If you have any questions or maybe some thing i missed let me know.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by djcocanougher; 06-07-2012, 02:15 PM.
          Crash
          "Peace is the glorious moment in time when everyone is reloading"

Comment

• Originally posted by steves View Post
            I'd worry about the filters designed for cars not having glue capable of handling the heat of an oil cooled MC motor.
            that's a good point but I'm betting it isn't going to be much if at all hotter. or the oil itself would break down too.
            air cooled bikes should run a thicker oil (20w-40) etc. it helps with cooling.

I've switched back to using 5w30 in my truck and it gets better gas mileage and the engine is quieter and smoother running.
            I would never believe it if I didn't try it.

Comment

• im going to be cutting my last fram filter open, as i have never seen an invoice where the filter cost less then 6$ i am thinking walmart shanagains.
              also even if they are the same my bike got over 100,000 miles using fram filters so.
              a. a better filter is not making that much of a difference.
              b. im using amsoil.
              c walmart shanagains.

Originally posted by Icepaws View Post
              im going to be cutting my last fram filter open, as i have never seen an invoice where the filter cost less then 6$ i am thinking walmart shanagains.
              also even if they are the same my bike got over 100,000 miles using fram filters so.
              a. a better filter is not making that much of a difference.well it's all back together
              but not running as great as ever
              all the carbon i cleaned out
              i need to richen the minutre for
              the idle circuit air fuel
              how is a hiku to go again?
              b. im using amsoil.
              c walmart shanagains.

so i ripped apart the filter and yes it has paper ends. but the filter was a tight squeeze to get out, and the amount of metallic oil that was in the filter was both surprising and made me happy that the filter still filters great, although manufactured different.
              I don't think I will ever switch, maybe it's the fact i have kept this combo for over 100,000 miles and only real thing that has happened was the valve breaking, and you would have to be nuts to think the 2 are related.

maybe in 6,000 miles i will try a different filter.
              Last edited by Icepaws; 11-18-2013, 08:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• I bought a cheap filter on line stupped but with that being said what filter do y'all recommend also what oil I've been told rote-la is good

Comment

Working...
                X