Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

How many miles before your first crash on the street?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made it about 3k miles. Was an early morning on my way to work. We had just had to put our long time pet cat down that morning so I was distracted.

Saw a bike on the side of the road for sale and was looking at it. I looked too long and when I looked up and all of the traffic in front of me was at a dead stop.

I panicked and grabbed a hand full of the right brake lever and the bike dropped flat to its side as the front tire washed out. Spilled it going about 40ish. I rolled off and managed to get a running roll back on to my feet. It was like slow motion as I watched my kat slide into the back of a gmc jimmy. It came to a stop and the motor was still running, back wheel still spinning. I had to run up and hit the kill switch. All it broke on the truck was a Reese hitch cover. Messed up my plastics, ground right through my glove and broke the side cover so oil was just pouring out. Cops came, took my motorcycle away on a flat bed truck. Wouldn't even give me the option to transport it myself. Got cited, all that good stuff.
    Flush twice... It's a long way to the kitchen.

Comment

Maybe ~100mi after purchase. During winter whilst I was resurrecting her. Thought I had the pefect carb tune and the weather had a break of mid 60's. In neighborhood (all my test riding was done there, did over 250 miles in my neighborhood getting used to riding) Target fixiated hard on a tiny patch of leftover slush and hard on the front break. When I hit the slush I'd locked it up and turned the wheel.

No actual street crashes yet but alot of close calls, very close calls.
      - Purplehaze
      All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Originally posted by Purplehaze View Post
        No actual street crashes yet but alot of close calls, very close calls.
        Welcome to street riding!

Comment

Define "crash" ...and then I'll tell you what I consider a "crash" to be. I remember my last one well.
          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
          ------------------------------------------
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Around 60K miles and have kept the rubber down so far (touch wood). That will be about 80K early next year and hope that's still the case. There have been plenty of pucker moments due to idiots - human and animal - as well as road conditions, but so far I've kept enough in reserve to stay out of serious trouble. I probably received a little help from Lady Luck during my first 6 months of riding. I've said it before ... crashing generally means 3 things ... pain, expense and inconvenience. At this stage of my life, I'm not really a fan of any of them, so I try to avoid them.
            Last edited by TRPUT; 07-31-2014, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Not sure of the miles but I first got my MC license in the spring of 1989, had my first real lay-down at the KR Rally in 09. It wasn’t till 2012 that I had a real major accident on a motorcycle.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

300 miles on a brand new off the show room floor 1989 600 kat I was young and dumb! Totally my fault! To fast into a corner and ran off the road. I watched my brand new Kat tumble end over end away from me at about 90mph! $1600 in parts and away we go!

Second time I was day dreaming on 143 at the Rally in 2012 and missed a corner. No comments from the peanut gallery please!!
                Bill
                1989 Katana 600 Blue on Black
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Racer87 View Post
                  300 miles on a brand new off the show room floor 1989 600 kat I was young and dumb! Totally my fault! To fast into a corner and ran off the road. I watched my brand new Kat tumble end over end away from me at about 90mph! $1600 in parts and away we go!

Second time I was day dreaming on 143 at the Rally in 2012 and missed a corner. No comments from the peanut gallery please!!
                  so the second was Old and dumb??

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

First time I crashed was in 1998... went about .5 miles <no offense> dumb lady backed out of her driveway in hurry. I swerved to the left and hit a manhole cover. I was doing about 25 mph, minor rash and a broke mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
                      so the second was Old and dumb??
                      Yep I never learn!
                      Bill
                      1989 Katana 600 Blue on Black
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Racer87 View Post
                        Second time I was day dreaming on 143 at the Rally in 2012 and missed a corner.
                        I did that once on a snowmobile, and it almost landed me in a river in the middle of januray. Thankfully a couple of sapplings stopped me. The nose of the sled was out over the bank being suspended by those wonderful trees. took a couple guys to get it back up over the bank to safety. I've learned to not let my mind wander off too far when operating a vehicle that isnt equipped with a roll cage and seatbelt.
                        My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

wow. Lots of wrecks. I really though I would make it a long time without crashing but at the same I knew it would happen and accepted that. I've already been out on the bike.. Crashed on Sunday. Going for another ride now.

oh, and I already fixed the bodywork all with my left hand.
                          Last edited by e30bradley; 08-01-2014, 07:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

About a year and over a couple thousand miles. Lady ran a stop sign and broadsided me. Didn't ride for many years and nothing since *knock on wood* but several close calls.

Comment

Originally posted by muffinman View Post
                              About a year and over a couple thousand miles. Lady ran a stop sign and broadsided me. Didn't ride for many years and nothing since *knock on wood* but several close calls.
                              Ah, I remember driving in Ft. Laud. A normal day of errands involved seven near misses!

Comment

This is awful but for me it was like 50 miles and dropped it at a stop...
                                92 Katana 750...

Comment

Working...
                                X