1988 Kat 1100 issues?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Kat 1100 issues?

Hello:

I'm a brand neewbie here. I have had a few motorcycles in my life and am now considering picking up a 1988 Suzuki Katana 1100. I currently own a 2000 Kawasaki ZRX 1100 and a BMW K1200 RS.

I read where since it was the first year of that particular model there were some issues with the front forks having too small of springs wihich caused some handling problems.

Are there any retrofit springs to swap out to correct this situation?

Any other particular issues to be concerned with on a 1988 Suzuki 1100 Katana?

What's a decent price for a bike in fairly good shape?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Hans911 View Post
    Hello:

I'm a brand neewbie here. I have had a few motorcycles in my life and am now considering picking up a 1988 Suzuki Katana 1100. I currently own a 2000 Kawasaki ZRX 1100 and a BMW K1200 RS.

I read where since it was the first year of that particular model there were some issues with the front forks having too small of springs wihich caused some handling problems.

Are there any retrofit springs to swap out to correct this situation?

Any other particular issues to be concerned with on a 1988 Suzuki 1100 Katana?

What's a decent price for a bike in fairly good shape?

Thanks!
    Racetech has springs. Relatively simple modification to swap them.

Might want to look into a replacement rear shock setup as well while your at it.

Price will vary greatly by location and time of year, but in general I see the 1100s for around $2.6k USD in really good shape. $1.2k in really poor but still running shape.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Welcome!
      While you're on the phone with Racetech, ask for Terry (Tmod on here), tell him you're on KR and talk to him about rebuilding your rear shock. The 1100's shock can be rebuilt and Terry can do you right on the pricing.

If you're feeling ambitious, the handling improves a whole bunch if you swap out the wheels for 17" rims and mount modern tires which aren't available to fit your originals. See the link below for my experiences with that.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
      X