X

some poping at about 4000 rpm

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some poping at about 4000 rpm

It seems around 4000 rpm there is some poping out of the exhaust. I pulled to spark plugs and they look great. I'm not sure if the plug wires are failing at the higher RPM? The pipe is a yoshi slip on, otherwise a stock bike.

It was cold today, would that have played a role? about 7 degrees C (or 44 F). I don't recall it doing this on other cold rides.

If this was my car I would advance the timing a bit however, it doesn't seem like I can do that on the bike.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks
    2004 Honda ST1300
    1999 Katana 750 (sold)

Originally posted by greentreena View Post
    It seems around 4000 rpm there is some poping out of the exhaust. I pulled to spark plugs and they look great. I'm not sure if the plug wires are failing at the higher RPM? The pipe is a yoshi slip on, otherwise a stock bike.

It was cold today, would that have played a role? about 7 degrees C (or 44 F). I don't recall it doing this on other cold rides.

If this was my car I would advance the timing a bit however, it doesn't seem like I can do that on the bike.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks
    Might need to be rejetted for the yosh exhaust?

Comment

Poping in the exhaust generally means lean fuel mix. If it's specific to an rpm range, I would generally narrow down the cause by using the guide provided by Factory Pro for the tuning the carbs to see the most likely components of your carbs to look at for tune/cleaning.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

what is confusing is the plugs: they show a perfect mixure. My first thought carb problem to.
        2004 Honda ST1300
        1999 Katana 750 (sold)

Comment

kreys the man here . hope you get it sorted out
          im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

So I double checked the carb sync, it was perfect however I thought perhaps it is too perfect for the bike to run properly. So I do a re-adjustment with a focus on adding more fuel and having a less than perfect sync. The end result is there is a lot less popping and the power still feels good. So this further confirms my suspisions that next winter I'll be over hauling the carbs. The sync is still good so I'll ride it for a bit and then double check the plugs to makes sure they still look good.
            2004 Honda ST1300
            1999 Katana 750 (sold)

Comment

No such thing as a carb synch being too perfect.

How did you add more fuel? Just cranking the mixture screws isn't targeting that 4000RPM area. Depending on throttle position it is more likely to be needle / jet related or perhaps float levels????

Krey's reference to the carb tuning procedure will help you narrow it right down.

Comment

Had the same popping the instant I put an aftermarket exhaust on my Kat, as well as with my carb'd R6. It's the nature of not re-jetting/or doing it improperly. Wont hurt anything, to have popping. Pro bikes pop on decel all the time, and they know best, right?
                ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by Scout View Post
                  Wont hurt anything, to have popping. Pro bikes pop on decel all the time, and they know best, right?
                  You mean the Track Racers... who have an entire team of people that disassemble, rebuild, replace, and swap motors on a regular basis between each race day?

Those guys?

I'm not so sure they are worried about longevity of the parts they use and set the bikes up for much further than just the single race day.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                    You mean the Track Racers... who have an entire team of people that disassemble, rebuild, replace, and swap motors on a regular basis between each race day?

Those guys?

I'm not so sure they are worried about longevity of the parts they use and set the bikes up for much further than just the single race day.

Krey
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

You're right, Krey. But, 36,000 odd miles on my 2006 (all my miles), and no issues. I'm not saying it's optimal, but it certainly isn't damaging, either.
                      ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                      チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                      Semper Fi

Comment

Working...
                      X