X

Time for a winter Project!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a winter Project!

As January 1st fast approaches I’m getting the feeling that it is about timeto start working on the kat since its 15 degrees and we got well over two feetof snow up here in WI in the last few weeks. A year ago I picked up myfirst motorcycle ever, a 95 katana 750. Before buying it i had only done alittle bit of work on cars and never worked on or touched a bike in my life, so having and maintaining this bike was no small challenge.

When I got it, the bike was unknowingly to me, running on only 3 cylindersand after working on it for a month I finally got it to run somewhat correctly.Because i did not know a whole lot about bikes I could never get it to stay running for more than a few weeks at a time. Although having this bike was a huge challenge and very frustrating at times, it was a good experience and I am grateful for katriders in helping me through it.

Now that my first year of riding is over and i made it through withoutcrashing or dumping the bike once I want to give the bike a makeover...

My goals for this winter is to clean out the rusty tank and seal it, fully cleanand partially rebuild the carbs, replace the throttle and clutch lines, checkand replace the breaks, put some new hand grips on the bars, add new break andclutch levers, put on a new wind screen, get new foot pegs, and to top it offrepaint the rims and the entire bike.

This is what it looked like when i got it

And this is what she looks like after ripping it apart all day!
    Last edited by AustinF19; 12-30-2012, 01:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Nice,

Once the fuel system is cleaned up it'll likely run trouble free for a long time.

Are you getting a new seat cover? Like the bike not a fan of purple:bunny2
    Blackdog
    DRz-400e plated
    Blue 05 750 (sold, sob)

Comment

Looks just like my first Kat. Did -you- steal my first Kat?

ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
      チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
      Semper Fi

Comment

ya the seat is getting redone also. I actually do like the purple but everything is scratched and chipped up so it’s time for a makeover.
        Sorry to whoever owns this bike but i really like the look and might go for something like
        it http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/.../RedWheels.jpg

Comment

When i clean the carbs i want to replace all of the o-rings, so my question is can i pick them up at a local hardware store or are they some special size where i need to buy a actual carb rebuild kit??

Comment

1. Those are metric orings. The only one you're going to find at the hardwaare store is the #7 t the bottom of the slide guide block. See the carb parts wiki for the rest of the sizes.

2. You don't want to do anything to those carbs "partially". They're kinda all-or-nothing beasties. Replace the float needles, bowl gaskets and the fuel tube seals while you're in there and give the bodies a good soaking even if you've done that already. You'll be glad you did.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I’ve had 2 of the bodies soaking since mid-day yesterday, and the other 2 will start tonight. If i could replace everything i would but I am a broke college student so im replacing what i can afford first

Comment

Originally posted by AustinF19 View Post
                I’ve had 2 of the bodies soaking since mid-day yesterday, and the other 2 will start tonight. If i could replace everything i would but I am a broke college student so im replacing what i can afford first
                This is a little incriminating. Be careful.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Float needles will be the next thing i replace before it all gets put back together

Comment

Throw in a FP jet kit, and do the ignition advancer mod as well. Get new plugs, air filter and have at it. The jet kit and igntion advancer is a great mod since you have the V&H exhaust. Ive done it all and its noticable improvement. Get the carbs good and you'll be good to go.

My winter mods are, dual projector retrofit (just finished yesterday) and Im going with some cheap billet mirrors to get rid of the stock ram horns that im going to make a new mounting bracket to fit. Performance wise Ive done all the mods I can to the 600 so next is looking for a 750 someone wants to donate
                    1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
                    fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
                    55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
                    R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
                    Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

haha i actually already DOWNgraded on the jet kit. When i got the bike it had a jet kit but the main jets were too damn big. The bike was fast as hell but i had a hard time making it 110 miles on a full tank of gas so i put some more reasonable ones in, also when i changed the jets i took out a k&n filter and put a oem one in so i already have that covered

Also when talking about the ignition advancer mod, how would i know if this has already been done, based on everything else that was done to the bike, i think he would have done that mod as well
                      Last edited by AustinF19; 01-01-2013, 05:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I wonder which jet kit it had in. I thought u were looking for alittle more power/better drivability. The V&H exhaust will compliment the jet kit as well as the ignition advancer as they are all really depended on each other. The jet kit isnt worth much without the exhaust done and to get its full potential you need to advance the timing. same thing goes for advancing the timing without the added fuel/better exhaust.... etc if you get my point. what size where the jets that you took out? Also did you take out the jet kit needles(and put back the stockers) or adjust the needles when you removed the jets?

The K&N isnt really worth it yet as the stock filter flows enough if its in good condition, K&N will mess with your idle and low vacuum running, so the stock filter is best.

best way to tell if the advance was done is to pull the cover an look at the advancer wheel, if its not stock (Factory pro makes on) but they go for like 80$. Otherwise the backing plate mounting holes will be elongated which allows you to rotate the backing plate to advance the timing (free mod).

see pic for modded backing plate and light black circles showing the elongated holes.
                        Attached Files
                        1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
                        fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
                        55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
                        R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
                        Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

I left the jet kit in, i just went down in size for the main jets after talking to arsenic on here. i believe the ones i took out were 130's and i put 125's in possibly? i cant remember exactly the size but it was the size arsenic said would work best with my bikes set up. Either way my fuel mpg's went up a little and the bike is still more than fast enough for how i should/need to be riding.

Comment

The 750 makes pretty good power even with the stock jets and no advncer. Just set the AF screws to 2.5 turns out and get the carbs really clean.
                            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I rode my 750 all summer, and tried out my friends stock 99 600 a few times.The 750 was noticeably faster and has all the power i need to have fun. One question i have is would the ignitionadvancer affect fuel consumption at all??

Comment

Working...
                              X