No announcement yet.
X

My Kat From Hell

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tekgnome Yep I'm finding out that they can bite.

skjeflo Not really worried about the cut wires yet. Just wondering what the block is behind them.

shpielers Hopefully I can get the screw out without using the impact but ordered the clutch basket from a stealer on eFlea. He clipped me on the shipping by about $20. It was supposed to be free shipping. He said he had nothing to do with it that PayPal did it. What a crook. He said he would refund the $30 I paid for the clutch basket minis restocking fee but not the shipping. Let me see, I should let him screw me both ways for shipping and oh yea, there is a restocking fee. Oh well lesson learned. I could have gone local to get that kind of service. It definitely would have been better to go to ronayers.com or bikebandit.com. Had a senior moment and forgot about those guys.
    Well it will be all better soon.
    For some reason I can't get the bike up on the center stand. A girl friend of my sisters came over and the two of us could not get it up on the stand. Maybe we weren't working together. I don't know, she's pretty strong, at least she's a lot stronger then I am. .. lol
    Well it will be all better soon.... I hope.. I pray ... I beg... I'll figure out how to use the jack's I've got. Those pipes don't make it easy. I might just take them off. The whole bike needs cleaning desperately. Not looking to polish a turd though... but If I am ridding it, I want it to look like it wasn't just stolen .
    Oh should I open a new thread somewhere about my rescued Kat?

Thanks everyone for the help.

Here's a couple of better pictures of what the wiring block looks like. I should have done a better job but my hand began to shake being bent over like that. Scary position to be in...

Then while I was looking around a bit, I saw this.

This is going to be fun...NOT
    Last edited by CaptnRonFl; 04-20-2017, 05:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by CaptnRonFl View Post
      Tekgnome Yep I'm finding out that they can bite.

skjeflo Not really worried about the cut wires yet. Just wondering what the block is behind them.

shpielers Hopefully I can get the screw out without using the impact but ordered the clutch basket from a stealer on eFlea. He clipped me on the shipping by about $20. It was supposed to be free shipping. He said he had nothing to do with it that PayPal did it. What a crook. He said he would refund the $30 I paid for the clutch basket minis restocking fee but not the shipping. Let me see, I should let him screw me both ways for shipping and oh yea, there is a restocking fee. Oh well lesson learned. I could have gone local to get that kind of service. It definitely would have been better to go to ronayers.com or bikebandit.com. Had a senior moment and forgot about those guys.
      Well it will be all better soon.
      For some reason I can't get the bike up on the center stand. A girl friend of my sisters came over and the two of us could not get it up on the stand. Maybe we weren't working together. I don't know, she's pretty strong, at least she's a lot stronger then I am. .. lol
      Well it will be all better soon.... I hope.. I pray ... I beg... I'll figure out how to use the jack's I've got. Those pipes don't make it easy. I might just take them off. The whole bike needs cleaning desperately. Not looking to polish a turd though... but If I am ridding it, I want it to look like it wasn't just stolen .
      Oh should I open a new thread somewhere about my rescued Kat?

Thanks everyone for the help.

Here's a couple of better pictures of what the wiring block looks like. I should have done a better job but my hand began to shake being bent over like that. Scary position to be in...

Then while I was looking around a bit, I saw this.

This is going to be fun...NOT
      Ebay/paypal has recourse for the shipping issue. If the listing said free shipping, and he charged you... you can get them to refund it for you.

The center stand is simple once you know how. If you look under the tail fairings, there are grab rails. From the left side, left hand on the handle bar, right hand on the tail grab rail, right foot on the center stand. Stand up on/push down on the center stand and at the same time... pull up with your right hand using the grab bar under the tail fairing. It should life right up then.

The chain adjuster issue is common when someone relies on the adjuster to hold the wheel by not correctly tightening the axle down. The best fix I'd suggest is swap the adjuster plate with another model that uses a better design. The RF models are one example. They use aluminum caps that not only look better, but are shaped to not easily be pulled in.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

That is exactly how I tried to do it after reading it on another thread and couldn't get it. I couldn't reach the handle bar, step on the center stand and lift the back end at the same time. I tried it with my left foot and with my right. That is why I tried to do it with a friend.
        I should have been able to do it with two people. Like I said I've done it lots of times before on other bikes. I'm figuring it's just that I'm too weak.
        What is a RF model?
        Parts are starting to show up.
        Thanks
        Last edited by CaptnRonFl; 04-22-2017, 01:11 AM.

Comment

RF is a water cooled Katana that looks better
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Oh you mean a GSX-R model? As far as parts go that's the one I should have gotten. It seems that there is a pot load of them here in south Florida.
            Wish I knew what parts fit what on my Katana from the GSX-R models.
            Making some progress. Got more parts today.
            Figured out that mystery wire box was the fuse box for the started and God knows what else. I will be cleaning it up for sure. Don't want to be stranded because of battery corrosion.

Comment

No, There is a Suzuki RF600 and a 900. The only parts from the GSXR that could swap fairly easily are the early air cooled models. Not saying you can't use modern parts, it's about your skill level. Like my head light. 2000 GSXR piece.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Forks are doable too...And not as much work as those headlights were. But yeah, most parts don't change over.
                Traced some of those wires, (not all yet) 1 was for the CA emissions equipped fan, one was indeed for the sidestand. Several others I didn't have time to look fully into.
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

92xjunker I can't even imagine trying to find parts from one of those.

shpielers Yes you are right about the kickstand wires. I pulled on it and it went straight to it. I don't want to say anything about the PO but my poor baby has a lot problems from abuse. Not sure if I want to mod it not but the front end needs help too

Comment

Well coming right along now.
                    I bought a new hard cover Haynes Manual off of eBay.
                    I know I can download it here but I got a good deal.
                    Got the clutch back together.
                    Found an extra fiber disk had been added.
                    It had two of them as the first two disks with no plate in between.
                    Also found a part of the cover to the clutch basket.
                    This is going to be interesting when I get it started again.
                    Still have a couple of things to do.
                    I need a screw for the main clutch cover.
                    Then some oil.
                    Clean the battery cables and connections.
                    Get the tire and chain to work together again.
                    I know that I will need to replace the chain and both sprockets.
                    I will check to see what people are doing to get lower rpm's for cruising.
                    Oh yea I need to put some fuel in it.
                    That's something else I have to replace.
                    The last OP broke the gas cover completely.
                    I also have to replace the front and back brakes.
                    That should just about do it.
                    I am thinking I should be done by the end of the week. Just in time for the weekend.
                    Last edited by CaptnRonFl; 05-11-2017, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptnRonFl View Post
                      92xjunker I can't even imagine trying to find parts from one of those...
                      Be patient...and keep looking. I just found all the parts I needed for my '89 (94 GSXR forks, wheels, brakes, forks)...for cheap. You can also call salvage yards. Ebay CL etc...

Comment

Lower rpms = smaller rear sprocket.
                        1998 Katana 750
                        1992 Katana 1100
                        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Things are coming together.
                          I got the clutch back together.
                          When I put it in gear it cuts off.
                          It's probably the kickstand switch. The wires have been cut. It's probably been jumped somewhere. I just have to find where that is.

Got the brakes on it. What a mess. The OP was riding it with metal to metal.

Hopefully I will figure out the problem with it cutting off when I release the clutch tomorrow and I will get my first ride in.

RobertTravis Yep Checking everywhere. I did find some new clothes for her on eBay. I think from China. I have already spent a couple of hundred there.

shpielers Seems to me I saw a discussion where someone did this on the forum. Love the forum. So much information. Sorry I missed meeting Cyber Poet. It's nice he did so much on here that others get to know him through all his contributions.
                          Last edited by CaptnRonFl; 05-11-2017, 04:53 PM.

Comment

"Turn Signal/Kickstand Relay"

I got the book out to find the wiring diagram. I found where I need to look.

The problem is I don't know where to look for the "Turn Signal/Kickstand Relay" on the bike.

I've been looking on the left side where I found the cut wires to the kickstand but no luck.

Could someone help me with it?
                            Pictures would be great.
                            Thanks
                            Last edited by CaptnRonFl; 05-11-2017, 04:54 PM.

Comment

We'll help if you stop typing in BOLD

Makes it harder to read believe it or not!

Comment

I typed it in bold because I thought it would be easier to read that way. I am an old fart and it helps me. Sorry

Well I solved it. It was very simple. The PO had cut the two wires where the wires from the kickstand go in to a connector. I twisted the wires at the connector together and it worked. I will put it back the way it is supposed to be. I like the kickstand cut out to work.

Now that is done, still no ride for me. When I let the clutch out fully, it barely moved. Looks like a oil change and new clutch plates for the old girl. I was going to change the oil and filter anyway. I am looking on eBay and Amazon to get the best deal for everything along with a new clutch cover gasket.
                                I also figured out why the emergency flashers were on. There is a separate switch to turn it on. It's located on the right handle bar. My nephew just reaches over and switch it off. I didn't say a word but I was saying some things to myself though.
                                I have to say I feel much better now.
                                Soon... yes very soon, it will be alive.

Picture of the wires.
                                https://flic.kr/p/TtXrqn

Picture of the emergency switch

Last edited by CaptnRonFl; 05-11-2017, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X