X

1990 GSX600F Not starting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 GSX600F Not starting

So recently I got a 1990 GSX600F, and I can't get it to start up!

I've replaced the plugs, wires, cleaned the carbs, cleaned the spark plug wells, even shot some carb cleaner in the wells and let it pump out and still nothing.

It does sound like it's starting to fire up, but just doesn't. Any suggestions? =[

Check the 12v input at the coils while starting. What is the actual voltage? Should be a minimum of 11v.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

It's a petrol engine so there can only be 2 problems no spark or no fuel.
      I would check if the wires all spark maybe a coil is dead. Also check fuel lines for clogs and double check your carb settings.

Comment

Kats have issues with low voltage to the coils. Can be easily fixed or can be a pain to get it back up there due to aged wiring. There is a last ditch patch but, we'll see how it goes.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Three things required for it to start - fuel, compression and spark. Eliminate each one as a problem.

If it has been sitting for a long time I'm gambling that your carbs need to be completely dismantled, soaked in carb cleaner and then rebuilt.
          2005 Katana 750

Comment

I'm going to say it is the carbs. My bike was doing the exact same thing when I got it. Cleaned the carbs by dipping them in cleaner for 24-48 hours, and adjusted the carbs to the proper settings and now it runs. If the carbs are way off sync it won't run either. I also had to replace the fuel line because the old line was more of a 90 degree angle off of the petcock. Check to make sure the petcock is also working, and there's not rust in the tank.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I changed out the fuel lines, and did a second carb cleaning(didn't think I did a good enough job the last time), I also emptied the gas tank out and found a small rust build up in there, got that taken care of now and it runs! Woohoo! Thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

Working...
              X