X

My first project (pic intensive)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first project (pic intensive)

Last year I picked up a 2001 600. The PO had not taken good care of the body...at all. And it wasnt running as well as it could be. There were a bunch of chips, scratches, cracks, and body screws missing all over the place. I rode it last summer as it was because it was my first summer and all I cared about was getting some miles in. Now that I got the initial summer out of the way, I have been bitten by the mod bug. First order of business was a new paint job. I am almost done with it, it just needs a cut and buff, and some pinstripes.

My intended mod list....

paint...everything
    powdercoat wheels
    reupholster and reshape seat
    new mirrors
    custom turn signals
    exhaust (moto gp style if i find a way to keep good back pressure)
    jet kit
    new tail section (chopped stock or modified from another bike)
    HID's (projector maybe at some point)
    raise rear end with custom dogbones
    DIY ignition advancer
    EX500 Windscreen

here is what ive done so far....

started reshaping my seat to raise my arse up a bit, (im 6'4" and wanted a bit more leg room) you can see the full thread here

next, it was onto the paint. This is what the PO left me with

From a distance the bike looked great, but up close, I was very unhappy. Tons of epoxy and a million sheets of sand paper later....this is what i had

I had decided to go with a candy red and truck bed liner paint scheme, thought I would try and do something different. Roland Sands' concept bike "No Regrets" was my inspiration, though I'll never come close to the work he does. He is an artist.
    Set up the "paint booth", and started to shoot

i got lazy and didnt want to take the tank off...so I just taped the whole bike, haha

this is what i ended up with. she still needs a cut and buff, and there will be some gold pin striping after that's done. And yes I did steal Kat Kitten's idea on one piece, it was perfect and I couldnt pass it up. In the midst of all the painting, I chopped the windshield too. I may end up doing the EX500 windscreen mod, but for now I like this look.

Please send me any design ideas, I'm always looking for new inspiration and looooove tinkering
    Last edited by BPryz; 05-01-2011, 02:27 PM.
    Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
    '97 Intruder 1400

Looking Good!

Like the two tone paint idea. Nice contrast
    All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on.

Comment

Looks good man keep us posted.

Comment

love the headlight portion the front fender and upper fairing... imho if the tail sides had a line in them, a portion above the turn signal and one that goes around the gas opening on the tank, i would like it more... but that is what i would have done...it does look good tho.

Comment

Wow man the red on black looks amazing, good job!
          1999 Katana 750

Comment

Looks great. Dude having phone sex prolly didn't know the pic was being taken

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

looks sweet.
              Tejasandre

Comment

I like it!
                In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." -- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut / Yogi Berra

"after the nuclear apocalypse, there will be 6ft tall cockroaches eating twinkies and driving dodge darts, and riding katanas" -- JayBell

Comment

Looks amazing

Comment

Thanks guys, glad you like it. There is much more to come in the future
                    Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
                    '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

Today, I installed my new rear indicator lights, I got the black short stalk cat eyes. At the same time I chopped the shovel and trimmed up the license plate bracket and took off the side grab bars.

Its finally starting to look like MY bike now, haha

best soldering tip. cut slits in a rattle can top to lay your wires in. this lets you use your hands freely.

soldered up to the stock connectors

time to chop, I'm using the stock undertray as mounting points for the new lights. just gotta leave a little extra for a mounting tab

I also added a little door trim to the top of my windscreen to clean up the edges.
                      Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
                      '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

The more I look at it, the more I like it. Nice job
                        This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
                        BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

Originally posted by FASHER View Post
                          The more I look at it, the more I like it. Nice job

Thanks man, It means a lot when the other riders here say they like my work. Was there something that you didnt quite like at first?
                          Last edited by BPryz; 04-08-2010, 01:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
                          '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

Originally posted by BPryz View Post
                            best soldering tip. cut slits in a rattle can top to lay your wires in. this lets you use your hands freely.
                            As long as I've been soldering, I've never thought to do that, always just used tools lying around to pin down the wires. Good idea!

Comment

Originally posted by paul.miner View Post
                              As long as I've been soldering, I've never thought to do that, always just used tools lying around to pin down the wires. Good idea!

i have been for a long time too and i just stole that from Stacey David. He's the host of a TV show called Gearz. Im not sure if it's national but we get it here in CT. He always does a little tip trick at the end of his show, quite useful.
                              Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
                              '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

Working...
                              X