X

Replacing chain and sprockets-Tips?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing chain and sprockets-Tips?

Do I need to remove the entire swingarm to replace the chain and sprockets or is there a way to just swing it out of the way? The Clymer manual seems to want me to "take the whole thing apart" Any good write-ups?

Any spring tension on suspension parts while off the ground?

How hard is it to remove the big front sprocket nut? I have the rear wheel off and have the bike supported on the centerstand with a floor jack and a block of wood under the engine. I realize the force of breaking the nut loose will be pushing the bike forward so I want to be careful. 1 owner and it's never been apart before.

If I put the trans into 1st will it be enough to hold the sprocket?

Thanks to all for any help provided..........1994 Katana 750
    Last edited by MeowKat; 03-07-2010, 10:47 AM. Reason: Year/model

I'm new to the site, but can help a little. No, you don't need to remove the swingarm for any of this. Your chain should be one piece, so to remove and install a new chain you really need a chain breaker. Personally, I would reinstall the rear wheel and use the brake to hold chain in place to remove front sprocket. Something about pulling against the transmission goes against my grain. Really not much to it; but a Dremel tool and a chain break will make your life a whole lot easier.

Comment

The only way to remove/install an endless link chain is by removing the swing arm.

Most here use replacement chains with a rivet master link.

They also make clip style master links, but they are usually not recommended.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Here's how I have done it:
        I left the chain on and put a 2x4 through the back wheel (braced against the swingarm) to hold the sprocket while I loosened the crank nut. I used an impact wrench to loosen the sprocket. I used a Dremel tool to grind the heads off the chain pins and a chain breaker to push a pin out and break the old chain, and then I put the new chain in and riveted its master link. The swingarm stayed in place the whole time.

Comment

sounds like you have done it. congrats you are now a bike tech
          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
          X