KOTM Apr 2009 greeneyedream

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Rolling Stock > All About Brakes & Suspension

All About Brakes & Suspension Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
Mrclean81
Tank Slapper

eBay ID: Mrclean81

Default Rear Brake Problem

I've had my bike torn apart all winter, and I'm finally getting it back together. The bike was on center stand and the rear wheel was off, and one night I hear a noise and see my youngest son pumping the rear brake. I knew when the time came, that this was going to be an issue, but never dreamed I would be this disgusted with it. For the life of me, I can't get the piston to compress enough to slide the caliper back over the disk. I'm not much of a mechanic to begin with, and this is really irritating me. I did refer to the manual, but its kind of vague when it comes to this. The C clamp I have is one I use on cages, and its too big to fit in there. Is there something I might be doing wrong or some trick I don't know about?
Old 04-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
rexazz2
Kat Legend

eBay ID: uburocks

open the bleeder screw on the caliper and the piston should go back in much easier
if you can close that bleeder again before the piston stops is best
Bleed the system as normal

btw
I like to put a wedge of wood in there to prevent that type of thing from being able to happen
Old 04-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
wickeded
Knee Dragger

I normally remove the cover from the master cylinder to allow the fluid to run back up as the piston is pressed into the caliper.

^^^^^^
wickeded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
Mrclean81
Tank Slapper

Thanks guys. Not sure when ill have another free minute to work on this some more, but hopefully this advise helps me. Next time measures will definetly be taken to prevent this.
Mrclean81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
ncj_23
Rookie

Im not sure if it will work but the way i do it is to pull the bleed screw then take one old brake pad and a normal nail hammer and pry the piston that way. Thats how ive always done it. Im not a big fan of c clamps
Old 04-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
squiggy
Kat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexazz2 View Post
open the bleeder screw on the caliper and the piston should go back in much easier
This is what I have done as well.

Be aware that you also have 2 bleeder valves because the rear caliper is a twin piston design.
squiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
boomer_95
Kat Daddy

eBay ID: 613boomer_95

try prying the pads apart with a screwdriver or pry bar (with old pads in place so you dont ruin good ones) and if it wont go open the bleader screw then pry. i say pry with the bleaders closed first as you wont have to blead the system afterwords, were you do need to when you open the bleader screw. ive never meet a caliper that couldnt be pryed apart. good luck

parting out my 89 Kat 750
boomer_95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:00 PM   #8
Mrclean81
Tank Slapper

Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully I can get out later this week and give it another shot.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
Mrclean81
Tank Slapper

Well I had a chance today to work on it, and after taking the advise given here I was able to compress it with little problems. Thinking I was finally going to be able to get to ride this thing after months of sitting (through a 70 degree winter no less) I finally get the rear wheel on and I think I messed up. It was a very tight fit getting everything squeezed in there, and after I did, I noticed I forgot something. I stand there scratching my head for an hour or so trying to figure out where it could go. I refered to the manual and saw nothing. There is no way in hell there is room for this anywhere that I see. I'm now worried that I did something wrong. Could anybody tell me where this goes?
Old 04-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #10
05RedKat600
Kat Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrclean81 View Post
Well I had a chance today to work on it, and after taking the advise given here I was able to compress it with little problems. Thinking I was finally going to be able to get to ride this thing after months of sitting (through a 70 degree winter no less) I finally get the rear wheel on and I think I messed up. It was a very tight fit getting everything squeezed in there, and after I did, I noticed I forgot something. I stand there scratching my head for an hour or so trying to figure out where it could go. I refered to the manual and saw nothing. There is no way in hell there is room for this anywhere that I see. I'm now worried that I did something wrong. Could anybody tell me where this goes?
I did the SAME THING! Had to see the parts fiche on BikeBandit

That, good sir, goes between the rear wheel bearing and the sprocket cover. Take the wheel off, then the sprocket part back off, and the milled end goes towards the wheel.
05RedKat600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Rolling Stock > All About Brakes & Suspension