Katana of the Month - January 2008  Erki

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101

Mechanics 101 Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Old 04-07-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
usdm_b18
Chicken Strip

Default Oil Overfill Now won't start!

Hi Kat Riders -- looking for a bit of n00b help with an overfill

I over filled my oil (probably about a quart over) similarly to this guy:

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...light=overfill

I wasn't too far over the F mark in the oil window, however as I've read this is often not overly accurate.

After changing the oil, the bike sounded very sluggish (requiring the choke to start and backfiring a bit), I thought this was just a symptom of being cold or not being riden for the last few weeks.

I did take the bike out for a spin for about 20-30 minutes and was eventually able to ease off the choke, as well, the back firing had subsided as well.

The real problems started a few days ago when I wasn't able to get the bike to start at all. The bike cranks, however won't turn over. I drained oil out of the bike to the correct level. I checked the spark plugs and they had been fouled by oil. I also tried to clean out any residual oil in the cylinders.

The bike will still not turn over... any recommendations on next steps or things to check? Did I break her before even starting the season!?

Thanks a ton!
usdm_b18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:27 AM   #2
Malarky112
Tank Slapper

Did you change the plugs or at least try to clean them?
Old 04-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
usdm_b18
Chicken Strip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarky112 View Post
Did you change the plugs or at least try to clean them?
Plugs are new this season's when i pulled them, they were oilly so I cleaned them up before putting them back in
Old 04-07-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
Wild-Bill
Kat Legend

eBay ID: justbillv

Check your air filter. There's a vent hose from the top of the valve cover to the breather box that's supposed to route fumes for burning. It's quite likely you blew a bunch of liquid oil into the breather box through that hose and now your filter is gummed up.

Also, make sure you're checking the oil level with the bike standing upright, not on the sidestand. Possible you're still somewhat overfilled.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
HID Projector Retrofit
Wild-Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
usdm_b18
Chicken Strip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild-Bill View Post
Check your air filter. There's a vent hose from the top of the valve cover to the breather box that's supposed to route fumes for burning. It's quite likely you blew a bunch of liquid oil into the breather box through that hose and now your filter is gummed up.

Also, make sure you're checking the oil level with the bike standing upright, not on the sidestand. Possible you're still somewhat overfilled.
Thanks wild bill,

I'll take a look at the air filter today, is the breather tube the one that runs down beside the rear brake? Or is it literally inside the air filter? Any recommendations on how to clear it? Compressed air?

Re: oil I had it on the center stand and the window was empty.... I'll snap some shots and upload;

Thanks again kat riders
Old 04-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
Slofuze
Kat King

Quote:
Originally Posted by usdm_b18 View Post
Thanks wild bill,

I'll take a look at the air filter today, is the breather tube the one that runs down beside the rear brake? Or is it literally inside the air filter? Any recommendations on how to clear it? Compressed air?

Re: oil I had it on the center stand and the window was empty.... I'll snap some shots and upload;

Thanks again kat riders
The tube is the one that's attached to the rear of the airbox. Disconnect it and simply let it drain out if there's anything in there. Be sure it's plugged and not cracked at the tip or you're going to have a vac leak.
96 YZF 1000R
Slofuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #7
Wild-Bill
Kat Legend

eBay ID: justbillv

OK, that's the drain tube for the airbox. The vent tube is the one that runs from the valve cover to the top, front of the airbox. Normally, the oil fumes go through the vent tube into the airbox and get drawn into the engine to get burned. Any oil condensation or liquid blow-by collects in the bottom of the airbox and can be drained through the drain tube.
Wild-Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #8
usdm_b18
Chicken Strip

Default Update

Just a quick update:

I finally came across some time this week and was able to pull the bike back apart:

1) I pulled off the cap on the airbox bottom drain tube and the was some oil that drained out (probably about a caps' worth)

2) I then went about pulling off the tank and got into the airbox and pulled out the air filter and took a look into the airbox here's what I found:

There was a bit of oil in airbox however fairly limited amounts, I cleaned it up as well as the airfilter

3) While I was cleaning these out, I noticed that there was a bit of oil dripping from the right cable, so I blew them out and there was some residual oil that was pushed back into the airbox. I blew out both lines until they were reasonably clear.

A few quick questions;

1) in the last photo, where were these supose to be plugged into? I don't recall them being plugged into anything are they supose to be left out? Are they for breathing?

2) My battery's dead and I'll be charging it tonight and plugging it back in; if I again am unable to get the bike to turnover, what are my next steps?

3) Does anything in the photos seem grossly out of place?

Thanks again for everyone's help!
Old 04-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #9
rexazz2
Kat Legend

eBay ID: uburocks

1. the hoses are just vent and pretty sure there are places to hook them on the back of the air box
2. another set of new spark plugs , you have flooded them and thats your problem
3. add a half of a can of Sea Foam fuel treatment(walmart or Napa) to a full tank of fuel I suspect your fuel is last years are just bad
4. a fully charged battery should start right up with the above

OUR canadian ethanol blended fuel is crap, the bunky fuel fouls plugs really fast

JIK check your oil level again , a stuck carb float will run fuel into your oil
I dont think thats your problem , just bad fuel
Old 04-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #10
usdm_b18
Chicken Strip

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexazz2 View Post
1. the hoses are just vent and pretty sure there are places to hook them on the back of the air box
2. another set of new spark plugs , you have flooded them and thats your problem
3. add a half of a can of Sea Foam fuel treatment(walmart or Napa) to a full tank of fuel I suspect your fuel is last years are just bad
4. a fully charged battery should start right up with the above

OUR canadian ethanol blended fuel is crap, the bunky fuel fouls plugs really fast

JIK check your oil level again , a stuck carb float will run fuel into your oil
I dont think thats your problem , just bad fuel

Thanks Rexazz;

Actually the sparks are new this season; I've already gone and cleaned them out, hopefully I don't have to fork out some more $ to replace them.

Batt's been charging all night; looking forward to givin'er a good crank tonight or tomorrow morning.

Will update!

Thanks again;
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101