Katriders 2010 SoCal Rally

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101

Mechanics 101 Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Old 04-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
davekat
Rookie

Default What do you plug a tank with when derusting?

Hey folks,

It's yer problem child back again with more questions on his Katana. So, I'm working on derusting the tank, now that I've located the culprit for my dirty carbs. Took the tank off, took out the float, filters, petcock, everything. It's a straight on, vanilla tank. So, I'm going to set up the electrolysis deruster, and I got a bunch of questions.

When using a battery recharger, when I test it with my voltmeter, there's no voltage, unless it's attached to a battery. I guess when I insert the electrode, it should still function correctly?

And the main question,

How do you seal the bottom holes?
davekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
Kreylyn
Kat King
Supporting Member

eBay ID: Kreylyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekat View Post
Hey folks,

It's yer problem child back again with more questions on his Katana. So, I'm working on derusting the tank, now that I've located the culprit for my dirty carbs. Took the tank off, took out the float, filters, petcock, everything. It's a straight on, vanilla tank. So, I'm going to set up the electrolysis deruster, and I got a bunch of questions.

When using a battery recharger, when I test it with my voltmeter, there's no voltage, unless it's attached to a battery. I guess when I insert the electrode, it should still function correctly?

And the main question,

How do you seal the bottom holes?

1. Battery charger or power source must be NON-automatic. If it's an auto battery charger (shuts off when fully charged) then it will just not work as it's turning off immediately.

2. I leave everything on the tanks when I do the electro process. So it's sealed. The only thing I remove is the cap/lid so it's not in my way and fill from the top like normal. I use a 2 liter coke bottle or funnel to insert the electrode and bend it into an S shape so I get more in and it doesnt' touch the tank.

Krey

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
davekat
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreylyn View Post
1. Battery charger or power source must be NON-automatic. If it's an auto battery charger (shuts off when fully charged) then it will just not work as it's turning off immediately.

2. I leave everything on the tanks when I do the electro process. So it's sealed. The only thing I remove is the cap/lid so it's not in my way and fill from the top like normal. I use a 2 liter coke bottle or funnel to insert the electrode and bend it into an S shape so I get more in and it doesnt' touch the tank.

Krey
Would a 5-12 volt constant powersupply do the trick then, or do I need a current?
davekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Kreylyn
Kat King
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekat View Post
Would a 5-12 volt constant powersupply do the trick then, or do I need a current?

You can make a computer power supply work for this even, as long as it's constant.

Your question is a bit confusing though... if you have voltage you should have some kind of current flowing...

Krey
Old 04-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
hardlydangerous
Kat Legend

eBay ID: hd-motorsports

The POR15 kit is so easy and simple...

HardlyDangerous Motosports
hardlydangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
Kreylyn
Kat King
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardlydangerous View Post
The POR15 kit is so easy and simple...

I agree 100% but...

I still prefer the electrolysis process on heavily rusted tanks and in my experiance get a much better over all end product with the por-15 that way.

Krey
Old 04-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
Opu$
Squid
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreylyn View Post
I agree 100% but...

I still prefer the electrolysis process on heavily rusted tanks and in my experiance get a much better over all end product with the por-15 that way.

Krey
You probably know this already. Even if you perform electrolysis it is wise to coat the tank unless you keep it full.

I have found swishing around ball bearings and Varsol to break up any rust and then use the Por 15 kit works great. I actually had a leaking tank. Por 15 will actually converts the rust as well.

Good luck.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:20 AM   #8
Nameduser
Skid Mark

Where can you get the POR15 around Dallas at?
Nameduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101