Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

DIY: GSX650 Ermax Undertail (not a katana but may help other memebers)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY: GSX650 Ermax Undertail (not a katana but may help other memebers)

Well.... I know not everybody owns a GSX650, but I noticed that a bunch of members have purchased them so I wanted to make a new DIY thread for you guys to see how to install an Ermax undertail correctly (this may also help other members looking to do some kind of custom undertail):

Total time to do conversion correctly about 3 hours.

Step 1:
    Put the bike up on a stand to stabilize it while you work, and remove the rear seat to gain access to bolts. At this time, also assemble the following tools that you'll need: Drill, small hacksaw or highspeed dremel with cutting wheel, Alan wrench set, screw drivers, electrical tape, wire strippers, and a beer or two.

Step 2:
    Step 2 : Remove seat lock and set aside the tool kit. You'll need a phillips head screw driver to get the lock off, and the tool kit comes off by removing the band holding it down.

Step 3:
    Unbolt the turn signals and let them hang temporarily. Also unbolt the rear grab bar, and the bolts for the rear cowling. Remove the turn signals by removing the nut on the backside holding them to the undertail. The rear grab bar will require you to pop off the little black covers first with a knife to expose the alan key bolts underneith.

Step 4:
    Step 4 : Remove the Rear Tail Cowling, Unclip turn signal harnesses and remove. The rear tail cowling needs to be removed to give you enough room to get to the harnesses to unclip the turn signals. The cowling comes off by removing the 2 alan key bolts up by the front, and popping off the 4 pop-clips along the bottom.

Step 5:
    Step 5a : Remove straps holding ECU and 2 hidden screws for the plastic undertail between the Undertail and the battery. These 2 hidden screws basically hold up the middle portion of the stock undertail.

Step 5b : Remove the last screws holding the plastic undertail and pull out and set aside. There will be 2 screws towards the front of the undertail, and 2 bolts up by the rear tail section.

Step 6:
    Step 6a : Begin to cut your stock undertail leaving the 4 mount tab points shown in the crappy Ermax instruction manual. The instructions (if you even call them that) just show you 1 crappy picture of what to cut off.... so I decided to put multiple pictures up here so you can see clearer what you need to cut and remove. You want to keep the "tray" areas of your stock undertail so you can keep your storage areas in-tact.

Step 6b : Continue to cut and leave the tail gaurd for last to cut. Leaving the guard for last gives you something to rest the tail on while you continue to cut so you don't rest it on your brackets and break them.

Step 6c : Completed cutout of stock undertail. Notice the now 4 brackets I've created by cutting down the stock undertail.

Step 6d : Other Side of completed stock undertail. The stock "box" storage area is stil in-tact to be utilized.

Step 6e : Leftover pieces of stock undertail after being cut off. I found it easiest to get this undertail to cut off cleanly by taking it off in pieces. I had more pieces than this by the time I cleaned up all the scraps around the garage... lol

Step 7:
    Step 7 : Reattach the now custom cut old undertail plastic piece. This will bolt back up just like stock (2 bolts in the back, 2 screws in the center by the battery, and 2 screws in the front), but now the huge plastic lip piece is gone.

Step 8:
    Step 8 : Reattach the stock upper tail cowl and then attach the new Ermax undertail. Also at this time reattach the rear grab bar loosely and attach the turn signals and plate light. (this is easiest if you have someone hold the undertail while you feed the wires up inside the tail portion... if you don't have someone, you can loosely put in place the 2 front alan screws to hold the undertail up).... Another Tip, I chose to cut the connectors off of my stock turn signals and plate lights so that I could re-use them with the new integrated turn signals and have an easy way of conecting or disconnecting them if need be.

Step 9:
    Step 9 : Reattach seat lock and seat and tighten down rest of the bolts.

Step 10:
    Step 10 : Completed Undertail before adding on the plate.

Step 11:
    Step 11 : Reattach plate under the plate light with self tapping screws.

If you have any questions or need more pictures or explanation, just give me a shout!
    Enjoy!
    Whats up KatRiders!

Nice job.. Thanks for the post !

Comment

Nice job, that looks a lot better, now get some new stuff for the lonely Kat parked against the wall:bunny2
      Blackdog
      DRz-400e plated
      Blue 05 750 (sold, sob)

Comment

I did get some stuff for the lonely Kat... $1600 when I sold it today... lol
        Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

Congrats on the sale in a tough season.
          Blackdog
          DRz-400e plated
          Blue 05 750 (sold, sob)

Comment

Thanks! I actually sold off both my Old Katana and my Finace's old GS200 on the same day.... lol Now we have my GSX-650 to ride around on....
            Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

Working...
            X