X

rear shock questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
    Ok ok I thought it was going to be close if not hit. The latest B12 shock I have done I shortened it up a bit and then made a custom spring seat for the lower to prevent hitting the cushion lever.

Here is a pic of that B12 shock with that spring seat and also I added a threaded adjuster for the prelaod instead of the stock cam.

Tmod
    Wow that's fancy! How does it work compared to the 98+ 750's when they're redone?
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
      Wow that's fancy! How does it work compared to the 98+ 750's when they're redone?
      The only real difference between the B12 and the post 750 kat is the post 750 is a touch shorter and has the remote reservoir and compression adjuster. For a pre the B12 will work fine but IMO it needs to be shortened a bit and the lower spring seat so it doesn't hit the cushion lever. Piston wise they are pretty close but the B12 does come with a low speed orifice where the post 750 does not, When I revalve a post 750 shock I add the low speed bleed so no advantage to the B12 there.

Tmod

Comment

I think I'm going to go with the busa shock, because yesterday i went out (tail light wasn't working) so I check the bulb looked good and then pulled the seat off. The connector for the tail light was disconnected so I zip tied it together, then noticed that some wires were striped so fixed that(heat shrink). Also noticed that the battery box was hanging on with one bolt. So I have to go to my uncles (he has a shop in his garage/basement) to bend up a new one. So why not move it.
        sigpic
        97 kat 600

O' yeah that's custom paint!

Comment

If you're going through the trouble (not that it's a lot) of moving the battery box, a modern-ish GSXR shock will fit as well.

Comment

There are two factors in the shock I end up with time and money( both are influenced by the girlfriend lol). I should just run with the B12 bc so many people have done it, and it gives it a nice ride height.
            sigpic
            97 kat 600

O' yeah that's custom paint!

Comment

This just has to be on my short list of mods! A descent rear shock!
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
              Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
              R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
              1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
              RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
              3BBB turn signal mirrors,
              Black painted seat and rear trim,
              Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Originally posted by iskuts View Post
                There are two factors in the shock I end up with time and money( both are influenced by the girlfriend lol). I should just run with the B12 bc so many people have done it, and it gives it a nice ride height.
                If you want pm me and we can get together and i will let you check out my b12 on mine if you want
                1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Philskat View Post
                  I did the b12 shock from a 04 i think and it fits and works great and raised the rear up 1.5 or 2 inches never measured but huge difference
                  Hey Philskat-
                  Couple questions....I have a 1989 600 Kat, and am interested in the shock swap. Did you have to modify anything for clearance? And at the risk of sounding stupid, what does a "b12" shock come out of?
                  Ferg

Here is a pic of that B12 shock with that spring seat and also I added a threaded adjuster for the prelaod instead of the stock cam.

Tmod
                  Hi Tmod-
                  Excellent job on the shock! I want to swap my 1989 600 Kat stock shock out, and have a few questions regarding yours....what shock did you take the threaded adjuster off of? Is this shock rebuildable/revalveable? Is the spring rate on the B12 shock higher than the stock Kat? And lastly, if I do go this route, would you have the dimensions of the spring seat so I can make my own? Let me know- thanks!
                  Ferg
                  Last edited by ferg571; 09-06-2010, 11:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                    Anyone running a ZX14 or Hayabusa shock that can take a picture of the lower link while the rear of the bike is off the ground? I know the busa shock is longer than the B12 and I know the B12 hits the cushion lever with the rear fully extended.

Tmod
                    Sorry it took me so long! This isn't with the rear off the ground, but with me pushing up on the subframe to get it to top out. I don't know if you can even see that I rounded the corners of the spring seat a little bit. If that lower seat isn't positioned that way, then it will hit.

Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Hi Tmod-
                      Excellent job on the shock! I want to swap my 1989 660 Kat stock shock out, and have a few questions regarding yours....what shock did you take the threaded adjuster off of? Is this shock rebuildable/revalveable? Is the spring rate on the B12 shock higher than the stock Kat? And lastly, if I do go this route, would you have the dimensions of the spring seat so I can make my own? Let me know- thanks!
                      Ferg
                      Hi Ferg,
                      I took the threaded adjuster off a post 750 shock that was damaged, No they are not normally rebuildable. The spring rate is a 10.9 and the pre kat is 9.2 so it is a little stiffer. Sorry no dimensions.

Tmod

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                      Sorry it took me so long! This isn't with the rear off the ground, but with me pushing up on the subframe to get it to top out. I don't know if you can even see that I rounded the corners of the spring seat a little bit. If that lower seat isn't positioned that way, then it will hit.
                      Thanks for the image LnL, Yeah I see you are pretty darn close to the lever. Another concern I have with that setup is how vertical the lever is, I am thinking it is putting alot of stress on it.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to snap a shot of it!

Tmod
                      Last edited by Tmod; 09-06-2010, 09:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I haven't noticed that the linkage was to vertical. I have the busa shock in and I LOVE the way it feels. However I did have a question for Tmod about changing the spring out on it, but the only replacement I found for it was at Hyperpro. I think before I start my project this winter I might look into rebuilding the shock completely.
                        My Addiction (94 600 Kat)

Addicted to Modification since... 1995!
                        Electrical Tape, Zip-Ties, and Rivets are more like accents then eye sores.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Tmod...last questions (for now!) What does the "B12" shock come from? And there is mention of a Hayabusa shock vs. the B12, with the Busa shock being longer...what would you recommend? And is the Busa shock rebuildable/revalveable?
                          thanks for all your help
                          Ferg

Comment

B12= Bandit 1200
                            -Steve

sigpic
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmie View Post
                              If you're going through the trouble (not that it's a lot) of moving the battery box, a modern-ish GSXR shock will fit as well.
                              gsxrs are also infinitely lighter than a katana, not a good swap. You want a shock from another heavy bike like the B12 or Busa.
                              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                              Originally posted by soulless kaos
                              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X