Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Oil found under the signal generator cover? (pics)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil found under the signal generator cover? (pics)

I bought a bike last week (94' gsx750 with 15K miles) and today i went ahead and started the process of adjusting the valves. After a couple hours i was at the point where i was ready to rotate the engine so i took the signal generator cover off to access the hex and when i did i noticed that everything seem to be covered in a light film of oil . Once i finish the valve adjustment i plan on starting her up to see if i can find where the oil is coming from (pressure sensor maybe). I did pay for the bike but, i also got a jacket from the guy (80$) that i have not payed for yet. With this new discovery maybe i could get a better deal on the jacket? If it is the seal behind the ign components, is it easy to replace or expensive?

^This is after i wiped it off but, there was a light coating on the backing plate, rotor and the wires. I wouldn't say there was a pool in the bottom but, there was more oil the lower you looked.

Thanks,
    -Nelson

p.s.

None of my regular spark plug sockets fit in the spark plug hole to remove the plug, do i need to buy a special spark plug socket?
    Last edited by nelson8708; 05-02-2010, 02:17 PM.
    03' Aprilia Falco
    99' CBR600F4 (fighter-ish) - SOLD
    94' GSX750F (street fighter theme) - SOLD
    1989 240sx (turbo ka on e85) - SOLD
    sigpic

well as far as the signal generator goes if you look behind the plate you will see the counter weight for the crank or at least that is how mine is and it will spray oil if the cover is off. the park plugs need a thin walled 18 mm i think it is you can get them different places
    1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

A small amount of oil (like a teaspoon amt) behind the cover is normal for an older Kat.
      Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
      Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by nelson8708 View Post
        None of my regular spark plug sockets fit in the spark plug hole to remove the plug, do i need to buy a special spark plug socket?
        if your bike came with the stock tool kit (unlikely possibly, but my '95 did) it SHOULD have a spark plug adapter in there.
        sigpic

'95 Kat 600 (Sold)
        '10 BMW S1000RR (aka Black Betty)(Totaled)
        '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

In ur thinky box, steeelin ur dumz

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Comment

Regarding the spark plug socket, I went the local auto store and bought a 18mm deep socket I believe, it's a little tricky to pull the plugs out after they are loosened, it helps to have the tank/frame cross bar and coils removed, but since your doing a valve adjustment I imagine you've got it pulled apart good.

When I preformed the same procedure on my pre 600 I found a minor amound of oil behind the signal gen cover. I assumed it was normal since I could see the inside of the crankcase essentially, but oil is un-conductive so no harm no fowl, although it may slightly interfeer with the magnetic signal, tho if it did effect it it would probably not be an issue at all.

I bought a bike last week (94' gsx750 with 15K miles) and today i went ahead and started the process of adjusting the valves. After a couple hours i was at the point where i was ready to rotate the engine so i took the signal generator cover off to access the hex and when i did i noticed that everything seem to be covered in a light film of oil . Once i finish the valve adjustment i plan on starting her up to see if i can find where the oil is coming from (pressure sensor maybe). I did pay for the bike but, i also got a jacket from the guy (80$) that i have not payed for yet. With this new discovery maybe i could get a better deal on the jacket? If it is the seal behind the ign components, is it easy to replace or expensive?

^This is after i wiped it off but, there was a light coating on the backing plate, rotor and the wires. I wouldn't say there was a pool in the bottom but, there was more oil the lower you looked.

Thanks,
          -Nelson

p.s.

For sale thread Album
          1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

thanks for the info guys. I'll sleep a little easier tonight knowing its some what normal. Going to a buddies house in a minute to get a thin wall 18mm so i can finish her up.

-Nelson
            03' Aprilia Falco
            sigpic

Comment

I hope it's normal, my 94 has the same thing going on and it seems fine.
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
              Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
              R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
              1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
              RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
              3BBB turn signal mirrors,
              Black painted seat and rear trim,
              Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Originally posted by Trackerrrr View Post
                A small amount of oil (like a teaspoon amt) behind the cover is normal for an older Kat.
                Dito, including the Post Kats.
                How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Let see if you guys can help me out with a few other questions with out having to start a new thread. I was finishing up the bike last night and noticed a weird tube under the bike, looked like a breather tube but, the end was capped off. I gave it a small tug to see if i could follow it to see where it leads and that small tug pulled it off of what ever it is supposed to go on. Looked with a flash light and couldn't see anything obvious. I hope i dont have to pull the bike back apart to re install the tube. Its a roughly 12-16" long 1/2" diameter tube that capped on the end, what is it?

Also what do you think of this plug? Lean, rich or on the money?

03' Aprilia Falco
                  sigpic

Comment

That tube is a drain pipe and attaches on the bottom of the airbox.

Comment

That plug looks good, should be a light tan color on the end. Set your camera to 'macro' next time so you can focus in on it. The tips should have sharp edges also on the center and side electrodes.

Get that tube reattached to the bottom of the airbox pronto! You are drawing in unfiltered air thru the bottom drain without it.

Originally posted by Islandsteve View Post
                      When I preformed the same procedure on my pre 600 I found a minor amound of oil behind the signal gen cover. I assumed it was normal since I could see the inside of the crankcase essentially, but oil is un-conductive so no harm no fowl, although it may slightly interfeer with the magnetic signal, tho if it did effect it it would probably not be an issue at all.
                      Oil film has no effect on the pickup or rotor.
                      Last edited by Trackerrrr; 05-03-2010, 06:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      Chris

Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Damn, going to have to pull the tank back off to get that tube back on aren't I? I haven't started the bike with the tube off. Will put it back on today.

Plug pic was taken with my phone...best i could do at the time.

-Nelson
                        03' Aprilia Falco
                        sigpic

Comment

Damn, going to have to pull the tank back off to get that tube back on aren't I? I haven't started the bike with the tube off. Will put it back on today.

Plug pic was taken with my phone...best i could do at the time.

-Nelson
                          You MIGHT be able to get to it from the side with the fairing off.
                          Chris

Comment

Working...
                          X