KOTM May 2009 DreKat

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Gearing Up

Gearing Up If your going to ride you need good gear!
Tell us what you've got and find out what others are wearing.

Old 10-19-2004, 10:46 PM   #11
Junior
Kat Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedee
Are you sure you want to put a powerbook near magnets?
DON'T!

I wiped my harddrive one day by putting it into my JR tankbag and heading off to work. I even had a shirt and pair of pants rolled up between the magnets and my Dell.
Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 10:50 PM   #12
Anonymous
Skid Mark

It was the shirt that did it.....!
...wheeeew!
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 11:27 PM   #13
NY Kat
Katrider

that is a big bag!! but I like the magnetic bags. I love the fact that you can pick them up off the bike and go. but I dont know if they make them that big.
NY Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 11:13 PM   #14
Brian
Chicken Strip

I have a Dell M50, 11"x14" (bigger with padding around it), and I couldn't find a tank bag that would work. I didn't look at magentic because of the HDD issue. I wound up buying a backpack, popping some grommets into it, and using cut-in-half bungee cords inserted through the grommets, with a knot on the inside to secure each cord (adjustable too ). Takes all of about 5 seconds to mount or unmount it, and I put mine right on top of the solo seat cowl. Just an FYI, wearing a backpack could be hazardous in an accident, especially with something hard like a laptop in it, you could break your back.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 04:15 AM   #15
tdrcomm
Kat King

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLou
Range is Bikeless right now, maybe he could just ride around Bich and hold ono it for you
Range.....that close to my backside??!!!............The Horror!!!!

I'd be a nervous wreck going through parking lots:
"Is it just a speed bump, or is it Range??!!!"
Old 10-25-2004, 04:17 AM   #16
tdrcomm
Kat King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
I have a Dell M50, 11"x14" (bigger with padding around it), and I couldn't find a tank bag that would work. I didn't look at magentic because of the HDD issue. I wound up buying a backpack, popping some grommets into it, and using cut-in-half bungee cords inserted through the grommets, with a knot on the inside to secure each cord (adjustable too ). Takes all of about 5 seconds to mount or unmount it, and I put mine right on top of the solo seat cowl. Just an FYI, wearing a backpack could be hazardous in an accident, especially with something hard like a laptop in it, you could break your back.
Wow! Great minds think alike!! I'm working on sort of the same thing. I'll post some pics when I get it worked out. Take some pics and post 'em so I can see how it looks.
tdrcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 03:29 PM   #17
Brian
Chicken Strip

Here's the $7 Walmart backpack turned tailbag. The pictures are links to larger versions.

I bought some large grommets and a punch to install them and a 4', heavy duty bungy cord slightly smaller that the internal diameter of the grommets (total $5)

Cut the bungy in half so I could insert the cut ends through the grommets and tied a knot on the inside of each to set the length (hint, don't tie it too tight the first time in case it needs adjustment, those knots can be a b*tch to undo)

If I weren't so lazy, I might have done the same to the top corners of the backpack, however, I just use a smaller bungy looped through the pocket of the backpack for securing the rear to the (trimmed) fender ($1)

and secure the front to the luggage bar

I also had this foam case from another laptop bag I had that I put the laptop in first before the backpack to reduce vibration

And there you have it, a $13 laptop tailbag. It's worked great for about 2000 miles (up to 90 mph) of commuting so far. I had, up until a few days ago, the grab bar and solo cowl and had no problems using it with them installed. I carry a small trashbag in the backpack in case I run into a downpour, but the backpack weathers mild rain just fine without it.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 10:18 PM   #18
tdrcomm
Kat King

Brian,

That looks good, but I think I found what I was looking for. Somebody mentioned Axio HardPack, so I checked NewEnough and liked what I saw.

http://www.newenough.com/product_group_misc_axio.htm

They even show a PowerBook in one of the photos. And I think the curve might be managable on the tank. ('Busa tanks are kinda big)
All I need to do is manufacture a couple of small hooks on either side of the tank to attach the bungee/straps. (I'm thinking straps). It fits the 17" just fine, and with the shock case I have it should be pretty snug. I'll see what the budget is like after I buy the new tire I need ( !!@%$#$#@%!! ), then I'll order it. I'll post pics if it turns out ok.

tdrcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Gearing Up