X

hey....check this out!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey....check this out!

today I did a test with my new plastic polishing supplies. I started out with the compound that is supposed to be made specifically for plastics, but I found it to be a bit too slow. Plus it comes in a solid brick and it doesn't apply very well to the plastics buffing wheel. So I tried something else. care to guess what? well I will tell ya. It was Mopar One Step Polish. Man, I love that stuff.

anyhoo, I was a dumbass and didn't take "before" pic, but I did get one half way through. I will just post the pic of the gs1150 cuz it was as bad as that.

here is how bad it was to start. it is hard to tell with this pic, but it was really yellow.

here it is after about 15 minutes with the compound that was supposed to work, but worked for chit..

here it is after I switched to the Mopar polish. it took all of 5-6 minutes on the buffing machine. I am impressed with the results. In case anyone is interested, I got the kit from www.caswell.com
    however, I suggest just buying the buffing wheel and skip their compound and go with a brand of liquid polish that works for you. most of you might not need anything like this, but anyone who is into selling used parts might find it useful. my reason for getting it was that it can mean the difference between not being able to sell a windscreen, and being able to get big bucks for it.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Wow that is intense...man that looks brand new...good job and thanks for the tip!!!
    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Wow if I had a wind screen I'd be all over that!!

Good tip.

Comment

So how's that stuff on paint and non-clear plastic ?
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
          So how's that stuff on paint and non-clear plastic ?
          It's one step polish....same stuff I used in my buffing "how to". so there is absolutely no damage to painted surfases. The special part of this is that it is a special wheel that is designed to eliminate heating the plastic.

these flashers were kinda dull and grimy.

these mirrors were flat and dull. I missed a spot though, and have to touch it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
            FYI the correct website is:

www.caswellplating.com/
            yes...this is correct. sorry about that. it was late when I posted

Comment

Can you take a picture of the product...I've searched all over to see if there is a local vendor that carries it and can't seem to find it....also I looked at caswell's and didn't see it...
              Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084

Comment

Originally posted by Jax
                Can you take a picture of the product...I've searched all over to see if there is a local vendor that carries it and can't seem to find it....also I looked at caswell's and didn't see it...
                it's from mopar.....you know, chrysler/dodge/plymouth/jeep

Comment

wow, what a difference, I think I may try it on my truck headlights!
                  Hold on Tight.......

Comment

Could I find this stuff at the chrysler/dodge/plymouth/jeep dealerships? I'll give them a call..

Can you polish the parts without a buffing wheel? How much of a difference would it make?

Comment

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Tim Hortons Coffee

Comment

Holy Cr@p!! That looks great!, thanks for sharing (I have a windscreen to polish as well).
                        It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Mojoe,
                          Since you have established yourself as the resident finishing expert. I have some questions;
                          Buffing equipment, can you refer us to the part numbers you use at caswell?

Speeds;
                          What speed do you buff with? as in RPM.

Are buffing pads standard?
                          Like can I get then to fit my angle grinder?
                          (if the RPM is right)

I want to buff some metal and my next paint job.
                          I'm a cheap barstard but also hate buying cheap tools..

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                            Mojoe,
                            Since you have established yourself as the resident finishing expert. I have some questions;
                            Buffing equipment, can you refer us to the part numbers you use at caswell?

Speeds;
                            What speed do you buff with? as in RPM.

Are buffing pads standard?
                            Like can I get then to fit my angle grinder?
                            (if the RPM is right)

I want to buff some metal and my next paint job.
                            I'm a cheap barstard but also hate buying cheap tools..

Thanks!
                            Does your angle grinder have a variable speed? if it does, you will be able to use it for buffing. All you need to do is find some pads that fit or an adapter.

As for RPM's. When buffing I use a Makita polisher.

It is capable of 3000 rpms. Depending on the application, I typically run it at about 1500 rpms at first and and then run over the surface again at full speed. This also depends, of course, on what buffing compounds I am using.

For the record, I use farecla products. the G4 is awesome stuff (yes mojoe I will mail yours out to you some day ) . I also use the farecla gold top.

Farécla is a world-class manufacturer of polishing compounds & surface finishing solutions sold to over 120 countries. The fastest way to the finest finish.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Working...
                            X