X

Intake Boot Bolt Size

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake Boot Bolt Size

Anybody happen to have the intake boot bolt size on hand? I would take them out to see but I have replacement boot o-rings on the way to fix a leak and I want to keep riding while I wait for them... thanks!
    1993 GSX750F

I know I ordered a purty colored set at one time (I know that doesn't matter, NOT THE POINT.) I wanna say they are M6x1.00-16mm

Comment

Alright thanks, I will drop by Fastenal tomorrow. Do I have to be careful about stainless vs regular steel going into the aluminum engine head? Or will a bit of anti-seize take care of the issue...?
      1993 GSX750F

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        I know I ordered a purty colored set at one time (I know that doesn't matter, NOT THE POINT.) I wanna say they are M6x1.00-16mm
        Originally posted by rolofung View Post
        Alright thanks, I will drop by Fastenal tomorrow. Do I have to be careful about stainless vs regular steel going into the aluminum engine head? Or will a bit of anti-seize take care of the issue...?

That's the size I just picked up... Stainless Hex Socket Caps... work great, look good. Same for intake boots and the oil lines too. Get 12 of them...

A small bit of anti-sieze will work fine for the stainless - aluminum issue. Just having hex sockets instead of JIS is 1k times better.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Great, sounds good. Krey, did you get low-profile heads or normal?
          1993 GSX750F

Comment

Great, sounds good. Krey, did you get low-profile heads or normal?

Stainless hex socket caps...

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yep I just got something like those. They also had low profile sockets too (a more shallow socket) but I thing the regular height sockets will fit fine (that's why I was asking).

Now to have some fun wailing away at my manual hammer impact driver on those JIS screws!
              1993 GSX750F

Comment

Since this thread isn't old yet, I just want to thank the posters here for the info. I changed out my boot orings today and the M6x1.00-16mm size is indeed perfect.

Home Depot carries plain (not stainless) steel ones. The baggies read "Cap screw socket 6mm x 16mm 6 Plain Steel DR#409" for anyone looking.

$2.64 total, and worth it after having to use penetrating oil, an impact driver, hammer, and vice grips to get the old ones out.

Comment

Hey Foxox, were you having idle problems? Let us know how the o-rings worked out, mine should be arriving tomorrow.
                  1993 GSX750F

Comment

Hey Foxox, were you having idle problems? Let us know how the o-rings worked out, mine should be arriving tomorrow.
                    I was having idle problems, but I'm not sure if they are vacuum related or not. However, I did definitely have a vacuum leak somewhere ... when I sprayed the boots with starter fluid, the RPMs would go up some after a couple of seconds, then drop back down. It also had trouble starting up, but that might also be related to running lean (stuffing a rag in the filter got it to start, which would indicate a lean mixture problem). I turned out my AF screws yesterday while the carbs were off to 2.75 to see if that helps any.

Also, the RPMs hang high sometimes while decelerating with clutch pulled in and after revving at idle, which AFAIK, is either a lean jetting condition, or a vacuum leak (which would cause a lean condition, since extra air is getting sucked in).

The old orings were smushed flat and falling apart. #4 looked like it had a burned spot. There was a dark mark on the aluminum mating surface there under the oring which I couldn't completely rub away, even with mineral spirits or acetone. At least it is smooth now, so the oring should seal up well.

I haven't run the bike since then to know if anything changed; lubing my control cables took longer than I thought and I didn't want to raise hell in the neighborhood at 1am by running my noisy bike :P I will report back when I get a chance to run it. *fingers crossed*

Comment

I tried running the bike today and took it around the block a few times. The bike was running really sluggishly and wouldn't idle so I can't say much until I get a chance to play with the AF screws... there's definitely some kind of mixture problem. I don't have any more time tonight to play with the bike but tomorrow I should get a chance and hopefully see what the new orings have really done.
                      Last edited by foxox; 03-14-2011, 10:29 PM. Reason: reworded some thing

Comment

rolofung, have you changed your orings yet? Noticed a difference?

Turned out the left coil wasn't connected... in moving around the tank and changing the spark plugs I bumped it.... bike has ordinary amount of power after all.

So to let you know, rolofung, I still have a vacuum leak somewhere near the boots; the orings didn't solve everything. Spraying starting fluid onto the boots makes the RPMs go up (maybe has a lesser effect than before, though). I'm going to try sealing the airbox boots into the airbox with some RTV the next time I take the carbs out of the bike.

BTW, the old boot bolts fit nicely into a couple of the spots where I was missing bolts on the headlight/instrument mount. Recycling =)

Comment

Hey foxox,
                          I haven't synced the carbs yet, since new o-rings will change the vacuum in each carb, but I just went for a test ride anyway.

The pulsing at idle is almost completely gone. I get some slight pulsing occasionally on deceleration, but it disappears when I come to a stop.

Maybe I just need to sync and see what happens.
                          1993 GSX750F

Comment

Working...
                          X